Stunning walk in The Picos De Europa


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have been enjoying the northern Spanish region of Asturias with its cliff lined beaches and brightly coloured fishing villages. I even managed a quick dip in the Atlantic at one of the beaches, Playa De Silencios, reputedly one of Spain's most beautiful beaches. A quick splash then out; freezing!



More recently we have been in the mountain area known as the Picos De Europa. So named by American sailors because they were the first peaks to be seen as they approached Europe. Today we have walked part of a trail namedRuta Del Cares. A spectacular hike which was made by workers when mountain streams were diverted to produce hydro electricity. (This is also amazing as they tunnelled through the mountains way back in 1915.) The trail rises 300 metres in the first kilometre (got us puffing) then continues another 11 kms at a gradual slope.



The trail skirts the edge of the mountains as you will see in these photos. There are no railings and there are really steep, I mean certain death drops from the edge. It is not for those afraid of heights!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th June 2013

Comparison with Yorkshire
When you are here, we can do sheep and undulations, but not sure as spectacular as this!!!! Ken
10th June 2013

Travel envy
OK - so that's looks really cool, better than what we've done in the Dolomites. Showed Millie our daughter in Spain and suggested she go there.
10th June 2013
Mountain goats sometimes a little too friendly

Love the goats!
10th June 2013

Hold on!!!!
Hi Hil and Roger So amazing. No way could I do that. You are both very brave. Louise
12th June 2013

Blog
Really enjoying reading your blogs especially the Picos de Europa walk which looked amazing.

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb