The Douro


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Covas do Douro
May 29th 2013
Published: May 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Have spent a couple of days in the Douro wine region which is famous for its ports and for having produced wine in the region for nearly two thousand years.

Yesterday we spent some time in the morning hiking through vineyard trails. We had a 2 hour boat trip along the Upper Douro where we learnt a little about the vineyards. In the photos you will see differences in the terraces as you go up the hill. Originally vineyards were narrow family owned plots, see those close to the river's edge, then the terraces became wider and nowadays on the hilltop, flatter areas vines are grown in rows down the hill rather than across (note the different direction of vines at the hilltop). This leads to great patterns in the scenery.

Late afternoon we headed to a hilltop, Casa de Casal de Loivos where there is a breathtakingly beautiful miradouro (lookout). The photos absolutely do not do it justice. It was a huge view. There is a small boutique hotel there too (of the same name) which is an absolute must if you ever get here. The hotel manager told us the view is listed as one of the 6th best natural views in the world. I googled that fact and I couldn't find it! But it SHOULD be on such a list! The region is, however, and more importantly, World Heritage Listed.

P.S.Last night we joined a wine tasting group in our hotel. Of the 6 of us: 4 lived in London; there were 6 different countries of birth and 5 out of 6 were Macquarie University graduates! How funny!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



30th May 2013

Beautiful
Wonderful area, spectacular landscape and ambience by the photos. What was the wine like? Were there lots of rosé or mainly ports? I so remember drinking Mateus Rose in the 70s which I am sure came from Portugal. Many happy returns for the 24th hope you had a happy day. Love Jane.
5th June 2013

With all that tasting, it's amazing you even made it on to the trail. Looks beautiful. Should see the place our daughter booked for us in Verona - Villa Verita! Also wine growing ( vineyards all around the place). looking forward to 'getting on the trail' myself. Happy safe travels Greg & Pat.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb