Feria de Abril


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
April 23rd 2007
Published: April 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Sevilla in anticipation of experiencing the Feria de Abril. While we had heard much about the colour and flair of the city and the festival, it soon became apparent that the festival was not really a tourist event. Like one travel writer describes it "(the festival) is like a thousand private parties that you are not invited to". Nonetheless it was great to be a spectator at times and just take in the granduer of the spectacle. Sevillians love to dress up, and all through the streets of Sevilla were women dressed in their finest undertaking the most mundane of activities. I felt a little uncomfortable staring at times, until I realised that perhaps that was the basis of the event, and indeed the entire city...to parade.

Sevilla is a busy, vibrant exciting place to be, especially at night, although sometimes we were left with the feeling that we were missing something. It was kind of a hard thing to get used to, but we decided that instead of trying to "get amongst it", as Adam would say, in Spain perhaps it was better for us to take a step back and just enjoy the spectacle. When we did this, we spent quite a bit of time perfecting the art of bar hopping and experienced some great wine and food in the process. Although, I am determined to improve my travel wardrobe before heading back to Spain again. Spanish women, especially in Sevilla, are always immaculately dressed, and nothing makes you feel like a dirty backpacker more than the disapproving glances of these women in public places!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

What a cutie!What a cutie!
What a cutie!

Even the little ones get dressed up.
Taking a break  from flamenco                                                                                                                       Taking a break  from flamenco
Taking a break from flamenco

Break time in the public tent
Plaza de EspanaPlaza de Espana
Plaza de Espana

Not sure what happened to the water?


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb