Buena Vista y Puente Muy Impresionante


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Ronda
April 22nd 2007
Published: April 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I thought I should take Jane somewhere romantic for our honeymoon after the Thailand toilet situation. Ronda seemed like to perfect place. After all, Ernest Hemingway lived there and he had four wives...one is enough for me!

Ronda really is a spectacular place, and when we arrived the sun was shining which made it all the more beautiful and was a welcome change from the cold, wet Granada. It really is a tourist town, most visitors come up on day trips from the coast. But after all the tours head home, it is a beautiful place to wander around and just soak up the atmosphere. Ronda is perched on top of a cliff about 750 metres above see level and the old town is linked to the centre by three bridges. The newest bridge Puente Nuevo is quite breathtaking. Even more breathtaking is standing on top and peeking over the edge at the canyon below. Of course, not content with making my legs wobbly from my fear of heights, Adam decided that he would like to take me to the bottom of the canyon through an old mine...claustrophobia anyone? It was like Chichen Itza all over again. Apparently the muslim slaves used to walk down the steps once a day to collect water for the king.

Anyway, after huffing and puffing our way back up the steps, we decided it was time to head to the nearest bar for some "refreshment". I was mesmerised by the bullfight on TV (apparently Ronda is home to the oldest bullfighting ring in Spain Plaza de Toros) and Adam entered into a discussion on football with the Spanish people at the bar, and a rather annoying English man who was in denial about the fact that he was English, but was quite vocal in his support of Chelsea. I guess you have to feel sorry for someone that goes for Chelsea anyway...well that is what Adam's Spanish friend thought!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb