St. Patty's day- Spanish Version


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Córdoba
March 30th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well... being the big group of Americans we are we thought we should have a St. Patty's Day party, because that seems to be a fun day to celebrate in the USA. So we invited our teachers over for a party. We made meatballs, a delicious roasted red pepper salad with onions, and a few pizzas. David brought lots of yummy candies, some kind of like M&Ms and gummy "besitos" which means "little kisses" which I absolutely love! We also had olives and potato chips, of course!
We had a good turn out! We served Spanish beer, although Christine brought a few Guinness to share, but no one could really handle that kind of beer, haha, and we also had some Spanish wine. It wasn't a very Irish party, although we did make a delicious Shepard's pie for dinner the evening before.
Since the party was on a Tuesday and we are all teachers, it didn't get too wild and crazy, nor did it last till very late. It was however a fun get-together. It was also Christine's birthday, so we served cake and truffles. It was a good time.

Thursday night seems to be a popular evening for the teachers of the high school to go out for tapas and drinks. We were invited by some of our new friends so we decided to see what it was all about. We went to a small bar near the disco, that I didn't know existed, and it was SO CUTE inside! It even had a hidden courtyard. The ambiance of the bar was simply amazing, and I loved it, and want to go back. It is also one of the bars here in Priego that serves free tapas with drinks. The first round was chicken nuggets with french fries, haha. It literally looked like a McDonald's Happy Meal. But it was good none-the-less. The second round was ham and cheese like paninis with fries, some people also got deep fried ham, haha. Only in Spain. We didn't seem to mesh well with Christine's teachers, as they all know one another, and we were with Ceci's boyfriend, who does not speak any spanish. So we decided to go meet up with Ceci's teachers, because they were also meeting for drinks. We walked to a few places that were closed, then decided on the place where we usually go for coffee in the afternoons, because they had tables outside. I asked for a glass of white wine, and the waiter told me I probably wouldn't like it because it was dry and very "odd-tasting." I said I would try it, but when I got it, it was like an apple dessert wine. He was right tho- I didn't like it. He brought me a tinto de verano instead. Its like red wine with orange or lemon soda. We got our first tapa, it was a kind of asian chicken skewers, very yummy. One of the teachers ordered another tapa, and it was kind of like mini meat patties with mayonaise and ketchup on it, with fries. Ceci and her boyfriend ordered another drink and the second tapa was almost like a mini deep fried meat loaf, it was really good, haha.
We sat outside and talked for a while, one of Ceci's teachers announced she was engaged! We were very happy for her because we have spent significant time with her and her fiance. It was a fun evening.

Not much else to report. The weather was nice for another week, but has been dreary the past few days. I have been feeling under the weather as well, so it wasn't too bad for me. I leave for Malaga on Wednesday after school, and Kevin will fly in on Thursday morning. Friday we fly to Vienna for a few days, then off to Prague for a few days as well. After a week, we will fly back to Spain and go to Nerja for a few nights. Its a beautiful beach city right on the ocean. I can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb