Off to Slovenia!


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

(We have added some pictures to a few previous entries. Hopefully we will get caught up tonight or tomorrow.)

We left Salzburg yesterday and got our train to Ljubljana, Slovenia. It was only a 4 hr train ride, which seemed much shorter than the one we took from Zurich. I must admit, I really miss the Swiss trains. In Switzerland, all the trains were spotless and extremely punctual. You get spoiled by that. It was a nice enough train and at least there was a window that opened. A really nice couple from the States (who are currently living in Prague) sat with us for part of the journey.

When we were planning the trip, many questioned why we were going to Slovenia. Both of us have really enjoyed it. Things here are cheap, everyone is very friendly and it is a beautiful country. English is widely spoken and most restaurants/stores play English songs on the radio. I would highly recommend Slovenia. I am sure in the next few years, many more will come here.

The last few days have been extremely warm. (Don't mean to rub that in. I have heard Ontario is not having a great summer!) At least it cools off at night. Heat does not slow Sherrie down, it just turns her into Betty (Sweaty Betty). I am worse so we can joke about it. I am always very thankful when the nights cool off.

Last night, a girl from our hostel invited us to come with her to this free concert in the park. (She was very nice. Lives in Barcelona so she is going to check out accomodations for us.) Unfortunately, when we got to the concert it was nearly over, but it was a lot of fun. It was in a very small licensed area. They were also serving food. (For those of you from the Moorefield area, it was a lot like the Moorefield ball tournament - just in a much better location with some culture thrown in. It was packed, everyone was drinking and socializing with friends, there were groups of different people talking randomly to all theirs friends while getting to know others and they were serving corn on the cob. ) The corn on the cob was done on the open grill. They had tons of different toppings - obviously butter, salted water, butter and garlic, olive oil etc. They put it back into the husks once it was done to serve it to you. Unfortunately we were too full to have any.

Today we went to Skocjan Caves http://www.park-skocjanske-jame.si/eng/caves.shtml. They are a World Heritage site and are quite amazing. (Another added bonus was that inside they are only 12 degrees!) It was an adventure to get there. We got on the train at 8:08am for an 1hr and 40 minute ride. Then we were to catch a shuttle bus to the caves. (Tourism is very well organized here.) We were over an hour into our train ride and at one of the stops, people seemed to get off. I thought it was just a popular place to go - who knows! Then the ticket guy (who was super nice) came back to our car and said we had to get off. Hmm. Why? He only spoke broken English and found us quite humorous. It turned out that we then had to get on a bus for the next part of the train ride. It was actually really nice to travel on the bus because we got to see a part of the countryside we would not have experienced. We assume they were fixing the track. Apparently Bill and Susie experienced this enroute to London and Sherrie tells me it is quite common in England. I just could not understand why he was telling us to get off the train! The trip back was uneventful. Tonight we went to a Rick Steves recommended pizza place for dinner. It was great. We had a terrific pizza, which was huge for about 5 euros.

Tomorrow we are off to Venice. I am quite looking forward to our hotel room (unfortunately, no air conditioning but at least we will have a fan). The best part about our room is that is has a canal view so we will see the gondolas go by.

Apparently, either I was long-winded or there was lots to tell you about. Hopefully, we can add some more pictures when we get back to the hostel.

Hope summer is going well! We are having a great time!

Steph and Sherrie!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



1st August 2008

Hey, it's not so bad here! I'm glad you're having fun and I can't wait to see more pictures!
1st August 2008

Sherrie is NUTS
Hello ladies. I just looked back to your photos of Sherrie's adventures climbing. Sherrie, you must be nuts! Steph, I would travel with you any day - reading a book in a hostel is much better than the daredevilish ventures Sherrie is putting herself through. I'm sure she enjoys it in some warped way, though. I even felt a bit queasy just looking at the pictures....aaaaahhhh~~!
1st August 2008

caves
The caves look great on the web site. Unfortunately when Jim and I visited a very minor cave in the south of France to see Paleolithic paintings ( it was only 7 -yes seven steps down) we discovered that he is even more claustrophobic than I am. So we will have to live vicariously. Add that to my fear of heights and Sherry would find me a poor traveling companion. Enjoy Italy. We loved what little we saw of it Linda
1st August 2008

Crazy canadian
hello, it looks like you are having a fantastic time. I'm with Shez it looks great. I wasn't planning on taking my hiking boots but i might now. Hopefully get to see you in Barcelona. Have fun and take care xx
1st August 2008

long weekend
You are dashing around having fun. This weekend I am suppose to weed the garden and build a raised bed. It may get put on hold as I have a very sore shoulder. It is hot and sunny today; a rare thing this summer.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb