Lake Bled and Area


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
April 17th 2008
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Island in Lake BledIsland in Lake BledIsland in Lake Bled

It is such a picturesque lake and island.
Today I went to Lake Bled, a beautiful lake up by the Julian Alps. It was a bit of a challenge finding the right freeway, but with the help of a nice lady out to walk her dog, I was pointed in the right direction. The guidebook said to follow the signs for Bled, which would have been easy if there were any. Here, the signs pointed to another town. It would be like looking for a sign to Vancouver, BC while in Portland; you would have to follow the signs to Olympia and Seattle and then there would be signs for Vancouver. All was well though.

It was misty, cold, grey, rainy, but beautiful at the Lake. I walked around, climbed up a big hill to tour a castle. Up there, they have a printing shop, so I helped print an ink picture of the church, my name and the date on hand made paper. It was an antique style press and was pretty neat. As I was looking, I saw pictures of Laura Bush and a letter from her thanking them for the nice picture she had made. Guess this place isn't so far off the beaten track.
98 steps to the church98 steps to the church98 steps to the church

These are the steps grooms must carry the bride up to prove worthiness.
lol The rest of the castle was pretty quiet, but it was still worth the hike.

I took a boat to the church on the island in the middle of the lake. Legend has it that is you ring the bell 3 times, your wishes will come true. I did this, but simply being here is more than I could wish for. There are 98 steps up to the church and locals believe that a groom must carry his bride up these steps to prove his worthiness. According to Rick Steve's guidebook, 4 out of 5 make it. They are pretty intense. The church is quaint and charming. There was also a swan's nest that was out of bounds.

After this lake, I went driving to another lake. Lots of mountains, snow, picture ops. Driving has been pretty easy here with the exception of the really difficult language. I am really liking Slovenia. This area reminds me of Portland and the Cascades. Drove back to Ljubljana and am in an internet cafe right now.

B


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Church on the IslandChurch on the Island
Church on the Island

This was taken from the top of the steps. It is a very small island, but very nice.
Brendan on BledBrendan on Bled
Brendan on Bled

Not much more to say about this one, lol.
Castle and Snowy MountainsCastle and Snowy Mountains
Castle and Snowy Mountains

Seriously, this place is what postcards dream of. The lake, island, castle and snow capped mountains of the Julian Alps
More MountainsMore Mountains
More Mountains

This was taken from the other lake, although I can't remember the name of it.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb