Zdair, Tatras Mts, Slovakia


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Presov Region » High Tatras
April 6th 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After the pace and drinking of Krakow, I was due to a break from my holiday. This is where the hostel the Ginger Monkey fits into things. The problem with getting from Krakow to anywhere is that the Tatras Mts are in the way and so you must train or bus around them. The ginger monkey however is perfectly located as a stop over point between Krakow and Bratislava or Budapest or Prague. It cuts down the travel time between this destinations in half.

After a 2 hr bus ride from Krakow to Zakopane and the waited an 1 hr for a 6 seater minibus to to take me to the border town of Lysa Polana. Got of the minibus with one other slovakian girl and walked across the border bridge and she informed me that we had just missed the last bus. So she decided to hitch. And immediately stuck out her thumb. One truck past and then a car stopped. She spoke to the driver and he agreed to take us: her to Poprad and I to Zdair. Zdair was only 20 mins down the road. So technically I hitch hiked!

Once dropped in Zdair it started to rain. Then I walked the wrong way for 30mins, but eventually found the hostel. First night there it was just me and another danish guy called Lars - he had a funny laugh. Lars cooked a fantastic fish - to die for.

Next slept in - I had demolished a book during the night and slept in till about 2. The next day two chicks joined us Julia of Miami and Jaci of Oz. And thank good because Lars was doing my head in.

I forgot to mention the wonderfully awesome dog - Wally - who most people come just to meet. He is loveable attention seeking, totally on speed mut - who does not know when to stop.

So when it hit beer oclock we decided to knock a few off, on the hill behind the Ginger Monkey, where there was still loads of snow all over the ground. If you threw a snowball at wally he would try to eat it??? Crazy.

Once it got cold went for diner at a local restaurant - the awesome thing about slovakia is that it is so cheap. Get a 3 course meal for 5 euro.

I stayed here till thursday the 9th and mainly it consisted of sleep ins, beers on the hill, walking through the snow and card games. Also watched a midgit (5.1 chick) consume a mega pizza - 1.5kg of pizza. It was not fun to watch. Took her 1hr and 20 mins the record was 30 mins.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb