Time flies.....


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
June 27th 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I've been in St. Petes now for around 4 days. My team is staying in an orphanage...us 4 american guys in a ridiculously tiny, and cluttered craft room/ kitchen...but its sort of ....quaint and cute...maybe. But i guess thats part of missions.

Yesterday (monday) was our first daay out on campus.

I went with Kraig from Miami of Ohio...hes about to be a senior. I did the first approach and we talked to two chinese students studying in St Petes for the past two years. They didnt speak much english, but i did get to explain who Jesus was since they had only ever heard of "Maria" (virgin mary). Sort of shared the gospel with them, but im not sure how much they understood, they explained that they have sort of forgotten english beacuse of the confusing russian letters, and i dont blaim them! UGH!@

Next, Kraig and I approached a guy. His name was Zaur, pronounced like Sour but with the emphasis on the U. He has been in St Petes all his life. We talked for a good hour. He is a muslim, but is not sure exactly what that means, and is only muslim because that is the religion in his ancestors region (near baltic sea i think). But he knew pretty good english so he really liked talking to us about stuff (especially george bush). We shared the entire gospel with him. Hes only 17 and doesnt seem to be considering spiritual issues yet, and i dont think he completely understood that werent excluded from Christianity just because you claimed Islam as your faith. Anyways he gave us his Mobile number and agreed to meet the next day...today, to take us to the Hermitage....really famous museum. So Kraig and I hung out iwth Zaur as he took us around his city, proud as could be....culminating in a 4 oclock dinner at KFC....yeah. The hermitage was beautiful and reminded me a lot of the British Museum (lots of egypt stuff). We talked a bit more about spiritual things, but he seemed quite disinterested. Oh well....

Tommorow will be back on campus looking for more people to share with. This whole experience really is great fun! Oh man. And the White Nights are annoying but an experience none the less (it doesnt really get dark here this time of year....at all).

Also, the air here is dirty, Kraig and i realized this as we discovered how unusually dark (dirty) our mucous has been this week.....deep theology, eh?


Ok peace out and cheers.

Andrew

Advertisement



28th June 2006

sounds like you're having an awesome time! ...i want to go to KFC in russia!
28th June 2006

thats gross

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb