Moscow/Mockba


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
September 20th 2011
Published: September 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody! Walt and I left St. Petersburg on Sunday early in the morning. Ten different trains run daily between the two cities. We chose the fastest one and made the trip in four and a half hours. We quickly realized that we only had the hotel address in English, but we did have the hotel's phone number. In the future, we need to remember to have the hotel send their name and address i... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Famous Opera SingerFamous Opera Singer
Famous Opera Singer

This man had a deep bass voice and supposedly could break windows and chandeliers with certain notes. He was a greatly loved man in Russia. He wished to be buried in Russia, his heart sent to Paris, and his vocal chords preserved by science. His wishes did not come true.
Kruschev's GraveKruschev's Grave
Kruschev's Grave

Kruschev's tombstone was designed by an artist that he detested. At every opportunity, he publicly criticized this man's work. No one seems to know why he was chosen to do this tombstone.
Gorbachev's widow's graveGorbachev's widow's grave
Gorbachev's widow's grave

This was the most popular grave in the cemetery and had dozens of fresh red roses on it. Mrs. Gorbachev was loved by the people and often compared to Jackie Kennedy.
One of the Seven Sisters BuildingsOne of the Seven Sisters Buildings
One of the Seven Sisters Buildings

These buildings all look alike and were commissioned by Stalin. Two similar buildings have been built in more recent years and are called the 2 step-sisters.
New Shopping CenterNew Shopping Center
New Shopping Center

The doll exhibition was inside this new building.
Matapreshka ExhibitMatapreshka Exhibit
Matapreshka Exhibit

These dolls were giant size. They were of many different designs.
Karl Marx StatueKarl Marx Statue
Karl Marx Statue

This was across from the National Theater.
High Heels EverywhereHigh Heels Everywhere
High Heels Everywhere

I am not sure how these women walk for long distances on cobblestones in high heels.
Children of The Victims of Their Parents' Vices Children of The Victims of Their Parents' Vices
Children of The Victims of Their Parents' Vices

This set of statues created great controversy in Moscow. People did not like it. The children are brass and behind them are the vices with Indifference in the center. Others are money, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, sadism, no memory, child labor, poverty, inadequate IQ, violence, etc.



21st September 2011

Everette, In our trip in 1998 when we adopted our daughter, Svetlana, our party of adoptive parents traveled by van around Moscow doing all of the preliminary tasks before leaving the country. After passing the fifth of the Sisters buildings, I commented to our guide that I felt like the driver had been taking around in circles because we had passed that same building 5 times. She and the driver laughed and laughed and then explained that Lennin liked the building so much he had it built over and over again.
22nd September 2011

Thanks
Thanks for sharing, we look forward to sharing you travels with you. Your comments make it so interesting.
22nd September 2011

Thanks for your fantastic blog. Enjoying it very much. :>) Blessings, Yvette (Jim Hammett's sister in law)
26th September 2011

Thanks, Yvette. We are having a great time. Russia is a very interesting country. Tell Yvonne that I am keeping Jim in line. :)

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb