Moscow/Mockba


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
September 20th 2011
Published: September 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody! Walt and I left St. Petersburg on Sunday early in the morning. Ten different trains run daily between the two cities. We chose the fastest one and made the trip in four and a half hours. We quickly realized that we only had the hotel address in English, but we did have the hotel's phone number. In the future, we need to remember to have the hotel send their name and address i... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Statue of a Russian GeneralStatue of a Russian General
Statue of a Russian General

I was sure that this huge statue would be Stalin or Lenin. Wrong! This statue is in front of the State History Museum.
Tomb of the Unknown SoldierTomb of the Unknown Soldier
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

This was the changing of the guard which is done hourly. Who needs to see the ballet when you can watch this?
Tragedy of A Nation MonumentTragedy of A Nation Monument
Tragedy of A Nation Monument

This monument is in memory of the Holocaust.
Tragedy of A Nation monumentTragedy of A Nation monument
Tragedy of A Nation monument

It was hard to capture the entire monument in a single photo. On the opposite side of the people are things that they left behind. This reminded us of the Holocaust museum that we saw in Jerusalem.
Symbol of MoscowSymbol of Moscow
Symbol of Moscow

St. George Slaying the Dragon is a symbol for Moscow.
Statue at Victory ParkStatue at Victory Park
Statue at Victory Park

Walt and Kerra, our guide, are under a statue in memory of WW II. It has Lady of Victory at the top and St. George Slaying the Dragon at the bottom. The column had the names of cities where battles were fought in the war and symbols of war.
Skier on Ski SkatesSkier on Ski Skates
Skier on Ski Skates

The skier was so fast that I had a hard time getting him in the photo. I assume that he skates on his skis to stay in shape. This photo was made at Victory Park - a memorial to WWII.
Swan LakeSwan Lake
Swan Lake

Beautiful Setting!
Cathedral of Christ the SaviorCathedral of Christ the Savior
Cathedral of Christ the Savior

This church was built in 1817 with help from all the people of Russia (labor, money, supplies, etc.) It took 40 yr. and was in honor of Russia's victory over Napoleon. Stalin blew it up because he wanted this site for Congress. It was rebuilt using the same design in 1995 - 2000. It holds 10,000 people. (no pews)
Moscow RiverMoscow River
Moscow River

A couple of guys were fishing by the bridge.
Statue of ColumbusStatue of Columbus
Statue of Columbus

The U.S.A. gave this statue to Russia to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Russian Navy. It sits beside the Moscow River.
Patriarchs BridgePatriarchs Bridge
Patriarchs Bridge

This is a footbridge where newlyweds attach padlocks as a Russian marriage tradition. They lock onto these metal trees or onto the bridge. Then, they throw the key in the canal hoping for a long marriage.
Marriage lockMarriage lock
Marriage lock

The padlocks are extra large. Some are decorated and others have the couple's names.
Novodevichy Convent & CemeteryNovodevichy Convent & Cemetery
Novodevichy Convent & Cemetery

This cemetery had the graves of many famous artists, politicians, writers, military heroes, etc. from Moscow.



21st September 2011

Everette, In our trip in 1998 when we adopted our daughter, Svetlana, our party of adoptive parents traveled by van around Moscow doing all of the preliminary tasks before leaving the country. After passing the fifth of the Sisters buildings, I commented to our guide that I felt like the driver had been taking around in circles because we had passed that same building 5 times. She and the driver laughed and laughed and then explained that Lennin liked the building so much he had it built over and over again.
22nd September 2011

Thanks
Thanks for sharing, we look forward to sharing you travels with you. Your comments make it so interesting.
22nd September 2011

Thanks for your fantastic blog. Enjoying it very much. :>) Blessings, Yvette (Jim Hammett's sister in law)
26th September 2011

Thanks, Yvette. We are having a great time. Russia is a very interesting country. Tell Yvonne that I am keeping Jim in line. :)

Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb