Many, Many Time Zones


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Far East » Vladivostok
July 3rd 2020
Published: June 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Russia has eleven time zones, and I crossed EIGHT of them on the Trans-Siberian Railway. The time difference between Vladivostok, where I boarded the TSR, and Moscow is SEVEN hours. It is a mere 6152 miles from Vladivostok to Moscow, and I rode every single one of those miles or kilometers. It is normally a six- or seven-day trip, depending on the schedule. So, the problem is quite simple. The train runs on Moscow time, but we tend to eat and sleep, based on local time. My solution was to carry or wear two watches. But I still had problems, as I will share below. Speaking of times zones, why do we have them? Time zones are a relatively modern invention. J. Griggs from Travel Trivia: Just like the more recent advent of the internet, time zones were created to simplify our lives — when the world began to run on a standardized time, it made global transactions and international travel less complicated. But as the saying goes, time is all relative, which is what makes time zones around the world so fascinating.
More from Travel Trivia: When it comes to time, the borough of Greenwich in London, England, is at the center of the world. That’s because Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) has historically been considered universal time — it’s even the time used by the international space station. In 1884, Greenwich was chosen as the center of world time for reasons of convenience. First, the U.S. had based its national time zones on a meridian that ran through Greenwich. Secondly, in the late nineteenth century much of the world’s commerce depended on maritime trading, and most sea charts also used the Greenwich meridian as the primary point of reference. As such, this particular meridian, which ran from the North Pole to the South Pole and crossed directly through Greenwich’s Royal Observatory, became the world’s Prime Meridian.

Set to 0 degrees longitude, the Prime Meridian is the line upon which GMT was established in order to set the standard for world time. In 1967, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) was introduced as a GMT equivalent and an updated global time standard. At this point, GMT was technically reduced to just a time zone, although it’s still used as a common vernacular to tell the world’s time.
What about the International Dateline?
In 1884, the International Meridian Conference was held in Washington D.C., with the goal of choosing a longitudinal equivalent to the equator and to standardize time throughout the world. At the conference, the Prime Meridian was established as a way to divide the Eastern and Western hemispheres just as the equator divides the Northern and Southern. At the same time, the 26 nations that attended the conference created another invisible line: the International Date Line (IDL). The IDL was created to demarcate the difference between one calendar day from the next. Set to a 180-degree longitude meridian, the IDL begins at both poles and then zig-zags around the globe, mostly through a remote section of open ocean.

Interestingly enough, since the IDL has no lawful status, countries are free to choose the dates they observe. Case in point: In 2011, Samoa decided to change its time zone by crossing the International Date Line and skipping an entire calendar day, thereby time-traveling into the future. The change was made in order to improve trade relations with Australia and New Zealand, two countries with whom Samoa conducts regular business. I never knew that!

Time zones were invented for the railroad:

Before mechanical clocks were invented, people used sundials to tell the time. “Noon” was considered to be when the sun was at its highest point in the sky, due south. As a result, each town and city had its own version of time even after the introduction of mechanical timepieces. With the invention of the transcontinental railroad, however, the lack of standardized time became problematic. As people left one city and traveled by railroad across the country, watches had to be reset frequently to accommodate the different times at each station.

To solve this predicament, the U.S. borrowed the idea of time zones from Sir Sandford Fleming. A Canadian railroad engineer, Fleming had originally come up with the idea of dividing the world into 24 different longitudinally-based time zones, each with an hourly variation. The U.S. adopted this idea nationally, creating four different zones based on degrees of longitude. A year later, England, Scotland, and Wales followed suit, and eventually, the rest of the world did too.

Standard time is not always on the hour:

Oddly enough, some countries don’t keep their time on the hour, instead choosing to use half or quarter hours to tell universal time. India, for example, is set to GMT+5:30, as is its neighboring country of Sri Lanka. Other countries that also are on the half-hour include Iran (GMT+3:30), Afghanistan (GMT+4:30), and Burma (GMT+6:30). Even more curious, Nepal is a country that runs on the quarter-hour, as its universal time is set to GMT+5:45.

If that’s not strange enough, Australia has five time zones, and only some of them are set to the half or quarter-hour on the clock. There’s no universal answer as to why the times are set this way; rather, it’s often a result of the politics of each nation. For example, India’s decision to set time on the half-hour was a compromise that accommodated New Delhi's location between two meridians. Setting the clock at the median hour was a concession that didn’t favor either longitude and presumably offset the fact that the large country runs on a single time zone.

Confused? Or is it crystal clear? In many ways, our travel lives have become easier. We can predict, with great certainty, when we will arrive in a new place. But the price we pay is something called Jet Lag. And it gets worse as you age!!! Take my word for it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb