Romania


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Maramures » Barsana
July 4th 2014
Published: July 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We crossed the border Poland-Hungary. Had a one night stay in Miscolc. Landed in an Industrial area and a dubious Hotel. No restaurant, that meant a taxi into town to get a meal. That worked all well but to get a taxi back was not that easy. We had to find one, lucky some of the young people do speak English. They helped us along, and a taxi took us back to the Hotel. There we found the sheets were to short, so we had to pull them down. Next day the breakfast was just sausages and eggs okay for me but Liz did not fancy that. On our way in great anticipation of Romania. It was a real border crossing with an one lane car pass port control. We were responsible for an enormous hold up. Pass ports car papers gone in a booth with an okay older customer officer. The younger one certainly could take lessons from him. Returning the papers with a smile, a happy travelling wish we went. First a Vignette. To travel on their roads. Seven euro allows us to travel Romanian roads for 30 days. A lot cheaper as the Slovakian one, 12 Euros just for travelling through that takes a few hours. Romania is in another time warp. Not to forget it is not that long open for tourism. The Roads Oh Boy. Most of the time about 60 k.m per hour. with some stretches newly done. But it is absolutely beautiful and full of surprises. Sometimes you think you are in a movie, still very traditional in their clothing at least tho older ones. We did again a great job with the address in the GPR And we could not believe it where we landed. We knew it was a private pension. The owner and his wife welcomed us with a cup of coffee and lots of info. If we wanted he would drive us in his car to some special sights. Which he did. First we went to a master wood carver, he called his friend. Toader Barsan who was invited to the Smith Sohian Festival in Washington DC. He was now working on an order for an U.S Monastery with his wood carvers. The wood carvings on the gates and houses of farmers are amazing. The Village we stay in is a farmers community. You see the women with old fashion farming tools on their way to the fields. Men with horse and card loaded with hay. Big smiles and invitations to their places. The food is very fatty and that is not friendly on a stomach with a problem. Liz had some food poisoning in Krakow. we will continue later with our stay in Oncesti.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.492s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb