Discovering the East of Madeira


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Santana
April 27th 2023
Published: April 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post

27th April

We tend not to do full day excursions anymore but as this is Benita’s first visit to Madeira it was worth it to show her a different part of the Island.



Just 20 passengers on the small bus which was just as well as the twists & turns of the mountain roads we took would have been a nightmare in a larger vehicle.



Noo Noo was our driver, a very pleasant guide and a very careful driver.



Our journey today took us East passing the airport where we had arrived only a few days ago, it feels like we’ve been here for ages & still 11 days to go.



The Portuguese navigators discovered the islands of Madeira and Porto Santo in 1419. It is said that these navigators first discovered the island of Porto Santo (1418) following a storm at sea during which the vessel was deviated from its route along the coast of Africa due to bad weather; after many days adrift at sea, they sighted a small island which they called “Porto Seguro” (safe port), i.e. Porto Santo, as it saved Zarco’s crew from a fateful destiny. One year after the discovery of Porto Santo, they arrived at the island of Madeira, in 1419, nicknaming it the island of “Madeira” (wood) due to its abundance of this raw material.



We made several stops with amazing viewpoints including Machico, & Porto de Cruz. Porto da Cruz is a small parish within the Machico council. It is easily recognizable by the Penha d’Águia, an imposing rock that arises near the sea.

Poppies blowing amongst the grasses and this was our first stop, so much more to enjoy.



We visited an old rum making factory and watched some of the processes of distilling the sugar cane before sampling a tipple, well I did !



We stepped out onto a glass walkway for a photo opportunity with beautiful turquoise sea below.



The scenery the whole day was spectacular, we had a nice amount of time in Santana. The “little houses of Santana” became widely known icons at national level for the peculiar beauty of their architectural style. With a triangular shape and covered with thatch, they are the greatest symbol of this municipality on the north coast of Madeira. A couple are occupied but most are used for displaying arts,crafts etc but the flower shop one was very pretty but no cameras allowed inside.



We continued our journey through Ribeiro Frio Natural Park with its wonderful tall endemic trees, some full of lichen. The hills and mountains full of gorse and agapanthus just wafting in the warm breeze along the roadside made it even more special.



There was an opportunity to do a short 30 minute Lavada walk which Benita enjoyed, Mr M & I enjoyed an icecream in a pretty cafe overlooking a stream.



Our last stop was the third largest peak in Madeira 1,818 m high Pico do Arieito where on a beautiful day we could see for miles and down into Nunns Valley.



A long day so by the time we got back to the hotel there was time to enjoy a beer at the poolside bar.



There are many beautiful flowers now all displayed around the hotel but I won’t post pictures as 3 friends from Flower Club are arriving tomorrow and I do t wa t to spoil the surprise when they walk into the hotel lobby.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement




Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb