West & North of Madeira


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Porto Moniz
May 5th 2023
Published: May 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

5th May



Today was another full day excursion to discover the West & North of the island.



Roberto was our driver today, all of the tours we have been on only use small coaches, just 18-20 people, just as well as some of the roads are very twisting and turning.



Our first stop was a pretty seaside town Ribeira Brava which benefits from the privileged climate felt on the west coast of the island almost all year round. The town was so named after the water line, with a wild flow, that crosses it.



We continued along the coast stopping at a small village where we took a short walk through a banana plantation where our guide explained the growing processes of the banana plant, all very interesting. One amusing fact is that Madeira only export their bananas to Portugal, because according to EU requirements Madeira’s bananas are too wavy and too short !!



There were several viewpoint stops with time to absorb the fabulous scenery of mountains and valleys in this part of the island.



We continued through the northwest coast towards
Porto Moniz, known for its volcanic swimming pools;

Plenty of time here to enjoy a light snack and admire the beautiful turquoise sea as it crashed over the lava rocks.
After Porto Moniz we carried on along the northwest coast through the «Laurisilva» (Endemic forest of Madeira) up to Encumeada, another view point from where on clear days both north and south sides of the island can be seen.

We also stopped to view a waterfall - tumbling into the ocean.
On the way back to Funchal, our final stop was at Cabo Girão viewpoint to enjoy the views from the highest sea-cliff in Europe and 2nd in the world & walk on the glass walkway viewing the sea below.

A lovely tour quite different to the east side we took the other day.

Tomorrow we have nothing planned as we will watch the Coronation as it will now be shown at the hotel.

.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement













Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb