Locked Out in Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
July 29th 1990
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The 25 April BridgeThe 25 April BridgeThe 25 April Bridge

Named after the date of the Carnation Revolution
Upon arrival, first priority was again to find somewhere to stay. It didn’t take long to discover that our books that were supposed to be up-to-date weren’t. The first hostel didn’t exist, the second had hiked up their prices to out of our range and the third, the YHA for which there were accurate directions, was full. As they had done in Paris, they found us somewhere else. This looked like it could have been a brothel, but we were grateful for anywhere.

We set off to try and find a beach, just to discover that the nearest one of any quality was a half-hour train ride away. We went back to the hostel to get our Inter-rail tickets, just to discover that it was locked. Depressed, we spent the rest of the day checking out the sites of Lisbon. Not exactly an inspiring experience, but there was a very impressive suspension bridge.

Things got very worrying when the ‘hostel’ was still locked when we got back. After an extremely unnerving delay, someone eventually unlocked the door and let us in. We all had much needed showers and then when out for some even more needed beers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb