Belem


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
January 17th 2009
Published: January 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I started my day with some grilled cuttle fish. It was unexpectedly sunny, warm, and Lisbon looked like a completely different place from the misty city the night before. I strolled down to praca do comercio, a huge square by the water. The size and openness of which is a testament to the golden age of seafaring Portugal. I took some pics and hopped on a tram, hoping it'd take me to belem. Not knowing which stop to get off at, I'm reminded of my little adventure in Sapporo, Japan where I set out to look for the beer garden with no more information than look for the big Sapporo star. So this time I'm looking for the mosteiro dos jeronimos and torres de belem, neither of which I've seen before, and I rode the tram confidently, thinking "I'll know it when I see it."
That is, until 20 minutes into the ride and it occurred to me that maybe I can't see the darn thing from my side of the tram, or maybe it's not possible to see either structure from where I sat. Just as I was beginning to panic, there coming up on the right is the giant architecture that's screaming "landmark!". But what if that's not the one I'm looking for? Whatever, it's big enough, whatever it is I'm happy I found it 😊
So that was my journey to Belem. After seeing mosteiro dos jeronimo, I stopped by the famous confeiteria de belem and got me some pasteis de nata (best in the country!)
After getting back to baixa, I went on a hunt for chewing gum (don't ask why) and concluded that Lisbon is probably what san francisco was like before the skyscrapers. City on hills by the water with trams running up and down, sunny days and chilly nights with occasional misty rain. Brings back good memories.
Anyhow my departure time is fast approaching and I feel like I'm not ready to leave yet. I may have to come back some day...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb