Lisbon (Lisboa)--Delightful Surprise


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
June 3rd 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Let's PartyLet's PartyLet's Party

A huge sphere advertising my favorite.
A new country but we're up to the same tricks. We didn't book a shore excursion so we decided to try it on our own again. After our ordeal in Casablanca, you would have thought we had learned our lesson. NOT!! This time we were somewhat more fortunate. Linda G negotiated us a limo with an English speaking driver. His name was Colada--like in Pina Colada and he had good command of the English language and knew his way around the city. I forget how much he charged us, but unlike our tour in Gilbraltar, we had to buy our admissions to all of the attractions he suggested. This added to the overall cost of the tour. Oh, well, we got to see quite a bit.
One of the frustrating things about Colada is that he would point out all sorts of points of interest but did not stop so that we could take photos. Steven and I were just holding our cameras out the window of the limo and snapping. A few were ok, but mostly we missed some interesting things.
We saw the Castle of St George, a Church and Monastery, the Carriage Museum and the Pier with a
25th of April Bridge25th of April Bridge25th of April Bridge

Named for the 1974 bloodless revolution that restored democracy by overthrowing the regime of Antonia Salazar. Erected in 1966 by Salazar employing the same engineering principles as the Golden Gate Bridge.
tribute to the explorers from Portugal. A huge, wonderful mosaic in the park by the pier.
Colada wanted us to book a further tour to another town and charge us much more. We were a little concerned about the amount of time it would take to travel for a hour or so to another area. We decided to just return to the ship so he was not too happy with us. He cut our tour short by about 45 minutes. Just some lessons that are learned when you travel abroad. I guess the same thing could happen in the US but, at least, here you know the language. Live and learn.
We did walk to a nice shopping area close to the ship and have a beer before embarking on the ship again. We did the push off thing and trivia before getting ready for dinner. Always busy. Tomorrow we head to Vigo, Spain. See what awaits us in another Spanish port.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

A TributeA Tribute
A Tribute

To the emmigrants and pilgrams
Narrow Lisbon StreetNarrow Lisbon Street
Narrow Lisbon Street

Taken from the window of the limo.
Festival timeFestival time
Festival time

This street was decorated for an upcoming festival.
Castelo de Sao JorgeCastelo de Sao Jorge
Castelo de Sao Jorge

A poster of the castle we visited overlooking the city of Lisboa.
Beautiful City ViewBeautiful City View
Beautiful City View

From the hill with the castle.
St George's CastleSt George's Castle
St George's Castle

The castle walls.
Castle Field TripCastle Field Trip
Castle Field Trip

Children visiting the castle getting instructions from their guide.
All in a RowAll in a Row
All in a Row

The pretty sailboats all in a row.
The Carriage MuseumThe Carriage Museum
The Carriage Museum

We visited a fabulous museum with amazingly adorned carriages. You could not use flashes so I only got this photo of a child's carriage. Maybe someone else got better images of some of the ornateness.
An Ornate CarriageAn Ornate Carriage
An Ornate Carriage

It may be low light but you can see the spendidness.
Shining GloryShining Glory
Shining Glory

Linda beside an elaborate carriage in the Carriage Museum.
Another Church MuseumAnother Church Museum
Another Church Museum

Great architecture but not much of anything new.
Marble Mosaics WalkwaysMarble Mosaics Walkways
Marble Mosaics Walkways

Wonderful marble--looks too nice to walk on but you have to get from here to there.
Huge MosaicHuge Mosaic
Huge Mosaic

This is a map of the world with all of the routes of the Portuguese explorers marked on it.
The West Wind?The West Wind?
The West Wind?

The corner of the map. Is the the wind blowing toward the west or blowing from the west??
AahhhhAahhhh
Aahhhh

A great way to end the tour of a great city.


18th June 2008

Great pix, as usual!
I'm thinking now that we've gotten the "ugly American" tag because others of us, confronted with deceitful, ripoff behavior at foreign ports, haven't been as nice about it as your party seems to have been. Are we just "marks" to foreign guides, I wonder? Maybe our rep isn't all about complaining of dirty accommodations, primitive toilets, absence of washrags, etc, as I used to believe. Anyway, you got some lovely photos and great memories! Kudos.
25th June 2008

I live in Lisbon. It is sad you got ripped off .Maybe the lesson you should learn is that you should go on a organized tour , not on your own. Portuguese are arabs..., and many arabs do not loose the ocasion to rip off tourists. ( Besides with the increase of the crude price things are getting more expensive in portugal.., so tourist guides must rip off tourists even more ). That is sad. Portugal main industry is tourism and those guides should do their best to please customers ( tourists ). It looks it was not the case.
31st July 2008

Nice pics and text!
Very nice pictures. I am Brazilian of portuguese descent and yould love to meet portugal. The sidewalks are similar to the ones we have on the sidewalk shores in Rio. Very nice. Sad that you got exploited by some "smart ass" guide. Thanx for sharing it! Btw i wonder where peter42y got the idea that the portuguse are arabs!! :? They are not arabs at all they are EUROPEAN CHRISTIANS.
1st September 2009

Very nice text about my beloved portugal. Sorry about that mugger guide who ripped you off. At least i hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip. Peter42y you damn flat smartass! Who are you calling arabs dullboy?? Maybe your mother is an arab!!

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb