Leaving Lagos, Portugal Tomorrow!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
May 2nd 2013
Published: May 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Last Evening in LagosLast Evening in LagosLast Evening in Lagos

Even while in a marina we enjoy the sunsets we have seen while here.
Well, as one of the cruisers on our dock so aptly put it, it is now time to cut the Velcro around the waterline on Tsamaya and head north to explore new places! Lagos has been known as the Velcro marina we understand why it has that reputation. We have thoroughly enjoyed our stay here taking advantage of the many benefits of the area. The marina has been a great place to meet cruisers from all over Europe and pick up fabulous tips of places to go. The area has been complete with ease of access to public transportation, a nice variety of restaurants, great places to walk to see the magnificent coastline and the bonus of being near our friends, Sandra and John. With a good size marina some of the added benefits are book exchanges, Friday dinner get togethers, Wednesday strolls, and the addition of an informative Lagos Navigator net (cruiser’s net) on VHF channel 9 every Monday and Friday morning (thanks Terry). We have made many new friends here and we hope to cross paths with them again someday, but it is now time for us to depart.

Through our reading and discussion with others we know
Where Tsamaya has beenWhere Tsamaya has beenWhere Tsamaya has been

Tsamaya has been on this dock (pontoon E13) since Oct 3 except for the 2 weeks on the hard -it has been very enjoyable here.
that the winds typically come out of the north along the Atlantic coast which is not the best for a sailboat trying to move north. All of the recommendations we have received has been to do “day” hops up the coast. As the north winds typically start up around noon and then die late in the evenings, it appears our planned approach will be to leave an anchorage in the middle of the night when the winds are low, head north with motor and sail up until about noon when we should plan to tuck in to a harbor to anchor for the “night”. In this way, we have been told we can move north without fighting too much headwind. We have also been told that as the daytime temperatures start to warm up, the strength of the north winds will increase making the trek north much harder. The days are starting to get warmer (we are wearing shorts) but the evenings are still cool enough for jeans and fleeces so want to take advantage of the weather pattern and move in a northerly direction.

Our original plan was to move as quickly as possible (within reason) north so
The marina complexThe marina complexThe marina complex

The marina in Lagos has quite a bit to offer with restaurants, laundry, showers and lots of opportunity to make new friends.
we would get to the Baltic by the end of May/beginning of June. In our discussions with others we have been finding out that there are numerous places on the way to the Baltic that are beautiful areas to explore. Plan B now is to take each day as it comes and not plan too far in advance. If we find an area that we want to explore more we will stop for a few days and then move on – in this way, we may not get as far as we originally thought this year, but as of now either plan will still bring us to staying the winter in London.

We will not always be in marinas on the way up the coast as we try to anchor out as much as possible, we will not have wi-fi access at all times. We will try to check in whenever possible, but if you don’t hear from us for some time, don’t worry.

If we find that we are out of contact too long, we will attempt to put up some minimal blog postings on the other site that we used while crossing the Atlantic. If you
An OasisAn OasisAn Oasis

The name "Oasis" is perfect for Lagos as it has been an excellent retreat for us this winter. We have enjoyed the meals at this restaurant as well.
have forgotten it, you can check in on www.tsamaya-waller.blogspot.com/ to see if we put up any updates. As a reminder that posting will only be text as I cannot add photos to it from my SSB radio.

We have a few other photos and things to talk about our last week or two here in Lagos, but will have to put in the next blog entry as trying to finish up everything to change Tsamaya back from a home to a sailboat to be ready for tomorrow AM. We are getting close, but a few more things to complete tonight.

Will stay in touch as much as we can while moving. Best wishes to everyone!

Advertisement



2nd May 2013

Hi from your faithful TB Follower...
I'm looking forward to reading about this season's travels. I visited the Baltics and Helsinki in April. Not a good time to visit weather wise...if I was a sailor I would have known that! But I didn't have a choice...it was tacked on to my trip from Beijing to Bukhara along the Silk Road...and that had the priority on weather which was delightful. Anyway, have a great season...and I appreciate your blogging efforts.
8th May 2013

any suggestions
Hi - any suggestions of places we "must visit" while in the Baltic?

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb