To the tune of Maria


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
December 8th 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

You must forgive me for the length of time it has been since Ive written. Ive had a lot on my mind.

West Side Story for example.

The song "Maria" has been on replay in my head for the past four days. It all began in Granada, where we had a wonderful time hopping from one tapas bar to another with our fellow AC mates. We hiked up the Alhambra and played frisbee until the clouds burned off so that we could see the Sierra Nevadas (the OTHER Sierra Nevadas). I have recently learned that these are the only available ski slopes in all of Spain due to unusually warm temperatures this year. Thanks again, global warming.

We decided to leave Granada and head for Lagos, Portugal to search for the last remaining rays of sun. Unfortunately, it would be a few days before we got there. It turns out that those in the south like to fiesta, and fiesta they did...to the extent that NO buses were in service, and all trains were booked for the next five days. It was a national holiday, and the entire country shut down. We took a train as far as Sevilla and settled in for a two-day holding pattern. The weather was glorious, and the river was full of crew teams and fishermen. There was even a motorcycle rally in the heart of the downtown plaza, so we got to hear the deep rumbling of engines throughout the day. The layover turned out to be a welcome respite from constant travel, but I couldnt help repeating the altered West Side Story theme in my head...

Sevilla
Im stuck in a city Sevilla
Say it loud and theres music playing
Say it soft and its almost like praying
Sevilla
Im stuck in a city SEVILLAAAAAAAAAA

We took the first bus out of Sevilla and have now successfully made it to Portugal. Upon arrival, we were kidnapped by a local who ran a building of apartments. She showed us one of the apartments she let and gave it to us for the price of a hostel. We accepted for a mansion with kitchen, balcony and living room. I feel like Im living in luxury to have my own bathroom...weve been to the beach, climbed the cliffs and watched local fishermen. Tomorrow its off to Lisbon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Through the eyes of the motorcycleThrough the eyes of the motorcycle
Through the eyes of the motorcycle

At the hog rally in Sevilla


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 76; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb