Savoir Vivre


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 24th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I am learning French.

It is a very tricky language. Sounds that had never before fallen upon these ears are now flooded by orations I didnt know the human mouth could produce. I have distinguished the difference between "good morning", "good day", "good night", and "good night I wont see you until tomorrow". I can recite numbers one through ten, ask for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (very necessary), and sing the "head, shoulders, knees and toes" song in French. It may not get me very far in life, but in France--its a good beginning.

Many French words have already eased their way into our English vocabulary. Take Moulin Rouge, lassiez faire, chateau, and derierre. Our culture is very familiar with the French: baguettes, Napoleon, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Versailles, the mime Marcel Marceau, writers like Guy de Maupassant, Jean-Paul Sarte, Voltaire, Alexandre Dumas; artists like Paul Gauguin, Paul Cezanne, Claude Monet, Auguste Renoire, and Henri Matisse. All French. Little people with big achievements.

You think you know the French...until you get here. There is a special aspect of their culture that you cant understand until you have experienced it for yourself. Its their hospitality and warmth and zest for life and everything in it. A book that Im reading sums it up like this:

"It is their enjoyment of life itself; and therefore of the good things of life; and thus of food and drink; which are indeed among the good things of life."

I have been amazed at the way the French eat. They always begin with an apertif: usually something cold, maybe sliced sausage or cold asparagus marinated in oils. There is generally wine accompanied with this starter. Then we move on to the main meal ( with no hurry) which will involve a delicious meat (roast duck, buttered fish, lamb) which is paired with an appropriate wine. There is always baguette. Bread will consistently accompany any meal any time of day. There may also be a vegetable with the entree. The main meal is followed by a variety of cheeses, then a dessert! I particulary enjoy this tradition. The dessert could consist of a crepe or chocolate cake or something else small and sweet. The dessert is then followed by a sweet liqueur or coffee. The entire meal takes around two hours, but can certainly extend far beyond that. In France, they have a break in the middle of the day, but unlike Spain where the siesta is meant for rest, it is consumed entirely by eathing and enjoying " the pleasures of the table". Food is something to be delighted in and savored, and shared with friends. The French seem to revel in hospitality: extending to us their homes, food and their conversation. We were told by one of our hosts here, "the guests responsibility is to eat, drink and talk". The French way of eating extends far beyond enjoyment, it can only be explained by the term savoir vivre.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 993.6kb