Warsaw


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
July 27th 2006
Published: July 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

WarsawWarsawWarsaw

Pawiak prison
Today was a massive day of walking. First we went over to discover old town. Actually there is nothing old left but what has been recreated is very beautiful and well made, just not quite the original character of the city. Heading on through to new town we went to the prison which has now been destroyed. There is one small pillar still standing. It was really interesting. During the war it held 100 000 Polish people, 37 000 were killed with most of the rest going to other concentration camps and marched from the Gestapo headquarters further up the road.

We then went to the Warsaw Uprising museum which is the best museum Ive ever been to. The whole thing was set up so well with interactive exhibits, memorabilia and heaps of information we ended up spending ages there without realising. Some 180 000 citizens died during teh uprising and the photos of Warsaw are incredible. The city was turned to rubble and a warzone with trams upended, bunkers made and trenches built in the very streets Ive been walking on. The sewers were the main methods of travelling between areas of the city. Phenomenal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb