Another Sea Day


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 28th 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So now we’re up to Sat and another sea day which started with mass and then breakfast in the Dining Room and then a lecture on “Was it murder? The last Traditional Inuit Trial” by Norma Hallendy. He has spent a lot of time with the Inuit people and has some interesting stories to tell.

We were then passing by Bear Island so went out and got some pictures but it was pretty cold and windy and the upper part of the island was covered in clouds/fog (or sea smoke as someone called it later). It was time to eat again so we headed to the Dining room with Erin and Dennis. After lunch we went to the demonstration on fruit carving so should all now be able to carve a watermelon into a flower. They had a lecture on whales by one of the Dutch Passengers but it was in dutch so didn’t attend that one. I went to the one on “Plate Tectonics 101” by Denis St Onge the geologist who has done a few lectures already while Mom went to tea with Dennis. Then it was time for Bingo. We had quite a few people today since it was 2 for 1 drinks. Note the Daily Program said bingo was at 4 am so we teased the CD about that. It was originally scheduled for the morning but he asked us yesterday if we wanted to play during scenic cruising or at 4 and we voted for 4. He actually listed it as “2 for 1 Drink Special to take care of the Bingo People for morning Scenic Cruising Jackpot Bingo”. I was close most games but none of us won.

The evening was spent with scenic cruising the southern coast of Spitsbergen but we took all of our pictures from inside since it was very windy/cold outside. Since part of this was during dinner several of us did a photo break between each course. The show tonight was Gary Arbuthnot who is an Irish Flute player and it was very good. He told stories/history before each section which included movie songs from Phantom and Wizard of Oz along with old standards and obviously some Irish Selections.

So these sea days continue to be rough work but someone’s got to do it! Tomorrow we head to the polar ice cap and lots of scenic cruising so should be another great day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb