Another day in snowy paradise


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Hammerfest
March 5th 2023
Published: March 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Well you know in yesterday’s blog I told you about the gale we sailed through, well since then I have found out it was one of the worst for a number of crew and there was a lot of crew seasickness.



On the tannoy today it appears people were complaining that they were struggling to see out of the windows because of the salt on the windows and they felt the windows should be cleaned - well number one it is icy and if you pour water on the windows it will turn to ice due to the sub zero temperatures and you will definitely not be able to see through the windows. Number 2 it is still too choppy out there so are we now going into the dark ages and hanging a little boy over the side with a sponge! Some people complain about anything instead of thinking how lucky and privileged they are being on this ship 🚢.



So there was an announcement if you go on deck 9 there are free energy drinks. Well I have never seen a mass exodus of Germans before in my life - they still left stuff on their chairs though so no one could sit on them before they could return.



We dock in Hammerfest which used to be the northernmost town in the whole world until some little bugger set up another town in Longyearbyen, still in Norway though so at least Norway did not lose this title. We took the bus to Hammerfest centre which was a lovely little town and they seem to promote polar bears all over the town. As normal we searched out the local church, there was a service going on and it must have been something special as many of the ladies were wearing ”The Norwegian Bunad” so we did not go in. However, the views from the church were magnificent; it’s such a shame you cannot get the full picture in a photograph as it does not do the view justice.



The weather today is really brilliant it is clear blue skies and the scenery is picture postcard.



We dock at Skjervey which is a small fishing village and this is where they say you have the best chance of seeing humpback wales 🐳 and orcas due to
Stunning viewsStunning viewsStunning views

the camera does not do it justice
the fishing of herrings - unfortunately we did not see any which was such a shame.



It was a quiet night so nothing to report no northern lights again lets hope we see them again on this trip but it is starting to get close to leaving so fingers crossed. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

Advertisement



7th March 2023

Fantastic!
Always love these ❤️💙💜

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb