Oslo - The Old and the New


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
August 10th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Folk MuseumFolk MuseumFolk Museum

Medieval croft house
Today was our first full day in Oslo, and we woke up to a cloudy cool day. We decided to go to Bygdoy which is a peninsula adjoining Oslo, but very underdeveloped. We went first to the Norwegian Folk Museum where old buildings from different areas of Norway were reassembled and furnished according to the era. Most of the buildings were medieval farm buildings and cottages. It's an open air museum, so we could wander around acres and acres of trails and go inside many of the old houses and farm buildings.

Next, we went down the road to the Viking Ship Museum to see 3 huge Viking ships dating from about 900 AD that were excavated from the Oslo fjord. There was also a fascinating exhibit of some of the artifacts found on the ships. Apparently, they were funeral ships loaded with goods that the dead would need in the afterlife. It's easy to see what good ship builders the Vikings were. Both museums were especially interesting to me because my great-grandmother was Norwegian.

In the late afternoon, the sun came out so we walked to the harbor area which has been turned into a huge modern shopping
Folk MuseumFolk MuseumFolk Museum

Interior of one of the houses. Much of the furniture was painted and most of the doors have intricate carvings.
area. We stopped and had a beer, which cost the equivilent of $24. We heard that Norway is expensive, but we still cringe every time we look at a menu or a price tag.

On our way back we visited the Nobel Peace Center. All in all, we had a great day, and so far, we've had good luck with the weather. Tomorrow is supposed to rain all day, so it may be a day devoted to the art museums. I've always wanted to see Edvard Munch's "Scream". But now it's time to rest our tired feet.............


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Folk MuseumThe Folk Museum
The Folk Museum

17th century Farm house. The roof was covered with several layer of birch bark to keep the rain out, then soil was put on to hold the bark in place.
Viking Ship MuseumViking Ship Museum
Viking Ship Museum

The front of one of the longships. View from the floor
Viking Ship museumViking Ship museum
Viking Ship museum

View of another longship from above so you can see the inside
Aker BryggeAker Brygge
Aker Brygge

Modern shopping development in what used to be the docks of Oslo.
Port of Oslo from the StrandPort of Oslo from the Strand
Port of Oslo from the Strand

See the smiling ship!


11th August 2010

thanks for the great Oslo pictures
Oslo looks fascinating, what a great time you are having! Don't drink too much beer!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb