Day 3 in Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
July 25th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Inside StortingetInside StortingetInside Stortinget

Here we stand on the inside of the round area in the previous picture. This is the main chamber of the assembly. Norway has a unicameral system of government. Our tour guide was a very charming chap, speaking in both English and Norwegian.
Despite the weather predictions for some rain today, we are happy to report that we had fantastic weather -- mostly sunny and perfectly temperate.

Nancy had to deliver some of their textbooks to the university today so we both got up early and took the t-bane (like a metro/subway) up to the University of Oslo, more specifically the to the offices of the Oslo International Summer School. OISS is a 6-week summer school program for intensive Norwegian language as well as other course offerings in many subjects, some in Norwegian, some in English. I enrolled in this program a few summers ago but came up short with arranging such a large amount of time away from my job during the summer. But I hope to take one of the language courses in the future and spend 2 or 3 whole summer months in Oslo!

After our little errand, Nancy was off to work for the day, and I headed back to the hotel to spend the day with Tina and her grandparents. We toured Stortinget just down the street. That was very interesting -- a snapshot of Norwegian politics as well as a good dose of Norwegian and broader
A desk in StortingetA desk in StortingetA desk in Stortinget

I would have to say the sitting arrangements in the assembly chambers are built for business not pleasure. Here Tina tries one out!
European history.

I will let the photos tell the rest of the story of our picture perfect day in Oslo.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Enjoying Ourselves!Enjoying Ourselves!
Enjoying Ourselves!

After our tour, we found another lovely outdoor restaurant along Carl Johansgate. We sat here quite a long time, enjoying a leisurely lunch and playing some cards. Tina won the card game rather handily -- drawing an inordinate number of wild cards!
StortingetStortinget
Stortinget

Here is Stortinget, the Norwegian Parliment building.
Carl JohansgateCarl Johansgate
Carl Johansgate

Here we see the main street in Oslo. A very bustling and fun place to hang about! The Norwegian castle is in the far background. Just a nod to Tina -- many of these photos are hers, including this one. Thanks, Teens!
Out on the harbor!Out on the harbor!
Out on the harbor!

Nancy joined us in the late afternoon for a 2 hour boat tour of Oslo's harbor. Here are some of the hundreds of bath houses we saw along the many islands. The cabins and houses all looked so inviting!


31st July 2007

Such a wonderful place!
I'm enjoying your photos and comments. I guess we never got to the water while in Oslo, did we. No dessert, just cake! :)

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb