Floriade in Venlo


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
May 11th 2012
Published: May 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Limburg Province shares a more than 200km long border with Germany. Baarlo is a small town south of Venlo. Venlo is very close to the border and many shoppers in the city have come across from Germany to go shopping. Floriade lies north of Venlo on the east side of the river Maas. It is ride of a little more than ten kilometers one way.

Mushrooms, asparagus, fruits and vegetables are produced in this area. On the way to the Exposition can be seen the distributors. Euro Fresh has a big warehouse here. Just around the corner from the camping are two huge fields covered in extremely thin white polyester mesh. Beneath the mesh, which protects against night time cool temperatures, thru small rips can be seen the beginnings of a hefty celery harvest. New cauliflower is for sale in the shops. And on the way to the next village I am told is a dispensing machine a la cocacola where for two euro can be bought a kilo of strawberries ... and they are not from California.

At the beginning my second day bike trail to Floriade I encountered a traffic tie-up ... eight huge buses. Seven hundred and fifty people had descended to lunch in the neighbourhood castle turned resort and golf club. I tried to go in there on the first day in the area but the grounds are closed to any but paying guests. The 750 were also to Floriade ... on the bus. I continued and ten kilometers, about an hour, arrived at the Fietsenstalling (bike parking).

On the grounds of Floriade a display details the agriculture, history and sights worth visiting in Limburg Province including a 47km bike route to visit windmills. Me, I am going to cross the river on a ferry and go to visit one windmill close to Camping Heiderust.

On the Floriade grounds, in an old brick barn the history of the geographic space where this exposition has been erected is presented in a sound and picture show reflected on the walls of the barn incorporating old farm implements, tractors and containers. Behind the barn is a vegetable garden whose lettuce and onions are well on the way to becoming large enough to eat. A walk thru the forest takes you past highlights of life on this field, from chapel to trade route to burial ground.

For children has been specially developed a route booklet that takes them on a question and answer search thru the area. I followed the route a very short distance and was then distracted by the international pavilions.

Kenya showing in a round thatched hut had stuff for sale. Sorry most of it was plastic.

Sudan was selling the exact same stuff. By stuff I mean beads, bangles, painted wooden animals, 30cm Masai tribesmen statues, sandles,wallets ... stuff!

India made available henna powders, alabaster eggs, beads,beads and more beads, pashmina scarves, bangles ... and stuff!

Ecuador was flanked by clay pots in the shape of a man with a typical hat, two suspended blankets that had become heavy and wet with rain. Inside were displayed machine knitted wool?gloves, sweaters with llamas, embroidered pouches and colourful hats.

Yemen was a big box, with little pots of flowers arranged around the inside perimeter and across the centre. Men in kiosk stalls were selling beads and scarves. No women in sight. A video showed men dancing. The music was good and the men were friendly.

Afghanistan displayed beautiful antique jewellery and clothing. Lots of beads and stuff was for sale.

Turkey was advertising an upcoming Expo at Ayala (sic).

Sri Lanka displayed numerous handicrafts that were also available for purchase: lace, silver, semi-precious stones, wood carvings.Sri Lankans sitting on what looked like platforms they would use in their shops at home, demonstrated the crafts and explained the processes.

Indonesia was impressive with a representation of a famous temple, huge shadow puppets, examples of typical house structures, plus brochures for health spas ... anyone wishing to go to Bali? I bought a lovely scarf for 5 euro. Could not afford the 80 euro masterpiece in batik!

Italia at the entrance had standing a boulder that had been trisected. The surfaces of the inside cuts were totally smooth and painted a lucious yellow. Inside the pavilion were videos of the best gardens and produce of Italy and many pamphlets advertising possible holiday destinations.

Belgium: the Belgian pavilion was approached from the back and one had to walk up an incline on a winding path. On both sides were many plants, set to grow. This pavilion will look totally different once the plants have filled in the space. Watering hoses were laid down thru-out. Once at the top of the path all the other international pavilions could be observed. And then as the path wound down it was clear that this was the roof of the building. It led inside to a video display of upcoming Flower Shows, huge vases with magnificent azaleas and a small refreshment bar.

China was a study in black burgundy and grey giving off a very tranquil aura even with lots of people in the space. The approach and the central building were well balanced. Bonsai trees were for sale.

Spain ... who knew they grew so much cereal? The structure of the pavilion was made of wood, flowing in vibrant curves. Inside with videos of cooking and displayed recipes were lauded the agricultural successes of the country. The different geographical areas of the country were represented and it was explained what produce came fro each. This pavilion made one feel GOOD!

Bulgaria was a great surprise. Their rosebushes were not yet too tall but they had the spaceswell filled with pansies and lavender. At the back of their alloted space were two 'huts' and people in traditional dress. The one hut explained the process of distilling rose oil from the special rosebushes. A distiller was on display. The second hut sold rose products in the form shampoo, creams, and very expensive restorative oils.

The Agua Pavilion was another great success. Inside on the perimeter was arranged a series of buffet style counters where food was ready for sale. In the centre was a huge blue sculpture representing the story of water. It took half an hour to read all the facts: Limburg has 8500km of drink-water pipes; it takes 4000 litres of water to produce a pair of jeans; 140 litres for a cup of coffeeand 5000 litres for a kg of cheese; the lowest point in Holland lies 6.7 meters below sea level; 97% of the earth's water is salty and only 3% is fresh water and 70% of the water used goes towards agriculture.

Korea was the absolute best. It was designed by a man (noted his name...cannot find the note) who has won a gold award for design at the Chelsea Flower Show. A stream runs the length of the alotted space. Tiles in various colours form rounded enbankments. In the centre stands a round white canvas flower whose petals open and close.The 60 cm high wall along the other edge of the space holds back an earth mound planted green and forming again a mound but higher than the stream embankment. The wall has been formed using a collection of scrap metal, squashed tea pots, old engine parts, bits and pieces of plastic any and all things one could find in an unrecycled refuse pile. At the entrance stands a huge stainless steel needle with similar thread flowing thru the eye. Convoluted cement with odd bits protruding fills one corner of the space. The benches made of wood wich curve along the stream are alsosed as storage space for the gardeners who keep the aluminium ovals that lie above sand pebbles. This was the best. Walking thru the space there was an immediatefeeling of calm, admiration and wonder. This was the best. The pictures say it all!

By five in the afternoon I had had the bisquit. Promising myself an Italian Ice I made my way to the entrance. The ice cream shop was next to the garden shop ... just had to walk thru and gauk at all the beautious things I was unable to buy ... transport being a problem and promising myself I would not commit the error of buying something in the first week of the trip and then having to carry it forever. Purolator is not an option!

Dos, dwa. zwei, two scoops of citron and malaga flavour ice cream for the walk out to the bicycle. The ride back was into the wind. Holland may have no big hills but it sure has strong winds. Am loving the freedom of just getting on that bike and GOING. The bike is as heavy as a tank, costs 75Euro for the two weeks and has the biggest handlebars ever. . It has not yet rained hard while on my way. That day will surely come.

It took an hour with only one stop along the way for a photo. I am attempting to go to Floriade every second day. Muscles OK but the sitter downer is feeling the pressure of that saddle!



Sorry there are not more pics ... it is taking ages to upload. Will have to go back to downsizing each one beforehand.

Advertisement



25th May 2015

your blog about Holland
Dear Barbara, I have read your travelblog about your visit to Holland and it was very interesting! I am Dutch myself and for my Geography Masterthesis I am doing research among tourist bloggers from abroad. Your blog caught my eye because you visited some less famous places in Holland, like Venlo. It is so interesting to find out why a part of the tourists in Holland visit those less famous places next to the highlights like Amsterdam and its surroundings. That's why I am wondering if I could ask you some questions about your visit, to complement the info in your blog. It won't be a long survey, but more of a short interview-type conversation about your experience and opinion. You would help me a lot and I am also very curious to know about what you think about Holland and the reasons why you choose to visit it. I really hope to hear from you. The interview will be used in a completely anonymous and confidential way. Kind regards, Theo van Veenendaal tvanveenendaal1986@gmail.com

Tot: 0.588s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.2835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb