Amsterdam to Zijdewind and Around...


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Schagen
June 25th 2019
Published: June 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Amsterdam to Zijdewind
That’s the APT River Cruise done n dusted. We moored in Amsterdam where we checked out this unique city (Venice of the North) on a canal boat tour in the afternoon, and a walk in the evening into the Red Light District window shopping after a farewell dinner on board. Fascinating to say the least.
The following morning we farewelled our travelling companions and disembarked from our floating home of two weeks.
A reunion with dear friends Cor and Marianne who took us to check out a working windmill, actually pumping water, on the way to their lovely home in Zijdewind where they hosted us for five days of exploring North Holland. We have toured the canal system around the local villages, stopping at an Irish Pub on the way for a Guinness or two as you do?
We visited Cor & Marianne’s family at nearby Alkmaar the next day with a walk around this historic town, and home in time for Cor to cook a beautiful steak for dinner. The days were very warm (read hot - up to 35 deg) so sitting in the shade with a beer or two was the order of the day!
A special SPARGEL treatA special SPARGEL treatA special SPARGEL treat

This is a white asparagus that only grows for around three Mo this of the year.

A ride on a historic steam train (1918) from Hoorn to Medemblik was a real treat - Rosco was so excited and stood on the platform of the passenger carriage both ways! Lots of video was filmed and a visit to the engine and carriage workshop at the end of the trip was a bonus.
A trip to the North Sea on our last day gave us further insight into the never ending canals and dykes that were necessary to provide more land for agriculture and homes.
We are very grateful to Cor and Marianne for sharing their lifestyle with us for a short time on this grand adventure.
Tomorrow we head to Norway - what new experiences lie ahead....


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Relaxing after a great day sightseeing Relaxing after a great day sightseeing
Relaxing after a great day sightseeing

Cor and Marianne have a lovely old farm house beside the canal.
Old town Alkmaar Old town Alkmaar
Old town Alkmaar

Marianne, Raewyn, Chris and Cor.
Spit and polish. Spit and polish.
Spit and polish.

104 years old and like new. All done by volunteers.


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 28; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb