Haarlem but not in New York


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Haarlem
August 6th 2021
Published: August 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

1st of two virtual trips to Haarlem with Mark.

A medieval city full of so much history, explained so well by Mark as we strolled through pretty narrow cobbled streets and along the Golden Streets with its unique boutiques. Next, the main market square with its imposing church, city hall, museums and much more.

Haarlem has many Hofjes (enclosed courtyard gardens), beautiful green spaces tucked away, most dating back to medieval times. The gardens are surrounded by charitable almshouses and were used to house poor, unmarried or widowed women.

We passed Corrie ten Boom House - The Hiding Place is a museum dedicated to the resistance fighter Corrie ten Boom. The museum is housed in her former home.

We started the tour overlooking the The Spaarne River and the 2nd tour will be a walk and a cycle along the river.

2nd trio with Mark today

Winding its way through Haarlem this river was once the lifeblood of the city’s economy. Nowadays on a beautiful evening it was leisure boats & paddle boarders that were winding along the river.

We saw more of the courtyard gardens homes that we had seen during the earlier
tour.

The architecture at one point along the river was built in different styles and in different periods, despite these differences the buildings combined harmoniously.

The Molen de Adriaan is a windmill that sits along the riverbank. Originally built in 1778, it has recently been rebuilt after fire damage in 1932.

For anyone on the tour they will know about Mark’s little ‘Slicey’ - the first one found a lovely spot to be found in Haarlem this evening.

Mark couldn’t resist blowing on the dandelion and several voyagers were puffing along with him.

The sun was beginning to set giving great reflections and a lovely atmosphere for the end of the tour.

Thankyou



https://www.heygo.com/marklaw


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement


























Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb