Harry's birthday / Van Gough Mueseum


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi we've got about 4 weeks left here in Amsterdam and each day seems to go faster than the last.

Last Sunday was Harry's Birthday and he had a great time. In the morning we went to the pool. The pool had a huge waterslide, a wave pool and these other really good slides. Also in the line for the water slide met some people who were aakt* and could speak perfect english (if only I could say the same for my Italian!!!).In the afternoon we went to Vondel park for a picnic and we were lucky because even though it was raining all the way there once we got there the sun came out.

On the Monday we decided to go to one of the many museums in Amsterdam - the Van Gough museum. We learnt that he had such bad depression that he tried to cut of his ear and that he commited suicide. During his life he only painted for 10 years but during this time painted over 800 paintings. Also during his life he wasn't famous at all and only sold three paintings but now he's world famous. When we got there it was strange because every one there said 'Van Gok'. All the kids were given activity sheets to fill out about some of his famous paintings and at the end we got a free post card we all chose 'the Potato Eaters'. We also went to floors 2 and 3 which had impressionists - my favourite was one of a baby's head with wings.

The houses here are very tall and have narrow staircases. To help get furniture in and out of the top floors the houses all have these things called hoisting hooks which are used to hoist objects up through one of the upper windows.

Tot ziens
Tom

* eight

Advertisement



18th September 2009

Hi Travellers
Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves on Harry's birthday. We did give you a thought on 13th Harrison. We were in Sydney last week and Geoff spoke to Kay so she gave us the info to get to the blog site etc. when we asked if she'd heard how you were going. The Forest Fun park looked awesome and I can imagine what fun you had there. I can remember being very impressed by the European ability to speak and understand English and how limited our knowledge of other languages was when we did our trip. We look forward to hearing more so keep up the good work. Love to you all. Geoff and Liz.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb