The Heineken Experience


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 8th 2005
Published: July 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

One, Two, Three, Four, Five, SixOne, Two, Three, Four, Five, SixOne, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six

How many bottles of beer on the wall? If you've been to the "See You Again Bar" and counted, as we did - you would know. Answer: a)100 b)210 c)170 d)150
This is truely an experience, one which I can see doing again. For an admission price of Ten Euros, about Fourteen US Dollars, it is fun and a great value for people who like and appreciate good beer.

Admission includes three half-pint glasses of Heineken - one early in the tour at the "Brewhouse Bar" and the last two at the end, in the "See You Again Bar" - as well as a souvenir tin and glass at the very end of your tour.

Exhibits include explanations of the brewing process and the history of Heineken. Highlights of the tour include two Disney like rides; the first in which visitors stand on a moving platform as they witness the bottling process through the eyes of a bottle; the second involves a simulation of a Heineken horse drawn delivery wagon driving through the streets of Amsterdam.

If your preference is to continue tasting, after your final two beers, keep your eyes open for Willem the friendly "See You Again Bar" Biermeister, if you’re friendly enough he may slip you an extra beer or two, with or without beer tickets. If you appreciate really good beer or just in the
"See You Again Bar""See You Again Bar""See You Again Bar"

How many bottles of beer on the wall? O.K., just guess.
mood for an interesting and enjoyable afternoon in Amsterdam, the Heineken Experience is a must visit while in town.

This day was one of the more interesting days we had in Amsterdam. During our tour of the Heineken Brewery we met two very nice and friendly young people - Eddie and Jenna, they're college students studying abroad and we happen to meet at the "See You Again Bar".

Feeling just a bit tipsy after Willem's bottomless glasses of beer, we all decided to visit The Grey Area Coffeeshop, a cool, welcoming and smokey hole-in-the-wall appreciated among local aficionados as a seven-time winner of Amsterdam's Cannabis Cup Award. Judging by the proud autographed photos on the wall, many famous Americans have dropped in. You're welcome to enjoy a bottomless cup of coffee and just chat and enjoy the atmosphere. Located between Dam Square and the Anne Frank House at Oude Leliestraat #2 - it's owned and operated by two Americans, Steve and John.

Finally, we all decided to move down the street to "Sushi Me!" for dinner. The sushi was very good, though not the best we've ever had. Nonetheless, we had a wonderful day with our new
Heineken Experience TourHeineken Experience TourHeineken Experience Tour

Starts here at the Amsterdam alleyway, where it all started for Heineken.
friends Eddie and Jenna. After dinner we shared a warm farewell and promised to stay in touch.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Brewhouse KettlesBrewhouse Kettles
Brewhouse Kettles

In this former Amsterdam Brewery, the vessels were made of copper. Nowadays they are usually made of stainless steel.
Brewhouse BarBrewhouse Bar
Brewhouse Bar

Here we got to sample the first of our so called three ;-) beers.
Our Man WillemOur Man Willem
Our Man Willem

Hey buddy, thanks for the beer, is this beer six or eight?
Willem "See You Again Bar" BiermeisterWillem "See You Again Bar" Biermeister
Willem "See You Again Bar" Biermeister

Hey Willem, another beer please.
Grey Area Coffee ShopGrey Area Coffee Shop
Grey Area Coffee Shop

Many famous Americans have visited this tiny hole in the wall, mostly Hollywood types including Willie Nelson.
Holly, Eddie and JennaHolly, Eddie and Jenna
Holly, Eddie and Jenna

At The Grey Area, enjoying the atmosphere and each others company.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb