Around Amsterdam & Liberation Day


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 5th 2005
Published: June 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Day of Liberation and FreedomDay of Liberation and FreedomDay of Liberation and Freedom

Concert on the Amstel River.
We stayed in Amsterdam today, got around by walking and taking the tram to various parts of town for music, sightseeing and enjoying the Day of Liberation festivities.

The National Celebration Day of Liberation and Freedom was held in Amsterdam with two great events. In the afternoon and evening the big "Bevrijdingsfestival" is organized in the Museumplein, a multicultural festival of music celebrating freedom.

The National Celebration concludes in the evening with a festive open-air concert on Amsterdam's Amstel River in front of Theater Carre. In attendance was HM Queen Beatrix and members of government, this concert was simultaneously broadcast live on television throughout the country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

NoorderKerkNoorderKerk
NoorderKerk

Protestant Church, built 1620-1623, we attended a Baroque Music Concert here.
NoorderKerk  ConcertNoorderKerk  Concert
NoorderKerk Concert

Performance by the Sweelinck Barok Orkest; diva Tara Pigale and conductor Jed Wentz take their bows.
Post-Concert ReceptionPost-Concert Reception
Post-Concert Reception

Holly with Maestro Wentz, after a Great Performance.
Post-Concert ReceptionPost-Concert Reception
Post-Concert Reception

Al with vocalist Diva Tara Pigale, after a Great Performance.
Time for a breakTime for a break
Time for a break

Let's have some Poffertjes (little pancakes) and tea.
Dekker, Eduard DouwesDekker, Eduard Douwes
Dekker, Eduard Douwes

Pseudonym - Multatuli 1820-87, Dutch novelist.
Outdoor CafeOutdoor Cafe
Outdoor Cafe

Just down the street from Hotel Brouwer near Torensteeg. Great place to enjoy the weather, people and a beer.
't Arendsnest Biercafe't Arendsnest Biercafe
't Arendsnest Biercafe

Great place for local beer and great food.
't Arendsnest Biercafe't Arendsnest Biercafe
't Arendsnest Biercafe

The beer and food are superb.
Let's danceLet's dance
Let's dance

After some good food and drink, what else.
Holly and Peter van der ArendHolly and Peter van der Arend
Holly and Peter van der Arend

't Arendsnest Owner Operator, great host and all around friendly guy.
Rembrandt van Rijn 1606-69Rembrandt van Rijn 1606-69
Rembrandt van Rijn 1606-69

Rembrandt is acknowledged as the greatest master of the Dutch school, overlooking the park at Rembrandtplein.
Montelbaans TowerMontelbaans Tower
Montelbaans Tower

The Montelbaans Tower (Montelbaanstoren) was built in the early 1500s, and the elegant clock tower was added in the 17th century. The tower was once used for defense of the city of Amsterdam, but today it is the home of the City Water Office.
Mint TowerMint Tower
Mint Tower

The "Munttoren" is a part of the "Regulierspoort" (poort = gate) and was built around 1480 and 1487 as a part of the Amsterdam city wall. Silver and gold was stored in the tower to be transported to Enkhuizen and Dordrecht where coins were made.


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 22; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb