The End


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Gelderland » Nijmegen
July 28th 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Skydive 37 secs
Smoked Eel anyoneSmoked Eel anyoneSmoked Eel anyone

trying dutch delicacies in Harderwijk
Well this is it people the last blog from an awesome trip to europe. Even though I'm home already I figured I should still finish it, mainly because the last week in holland was awesome fun (as usual.)

After the marathon train ride back to Nijmegen Melissa cooked up a feed while we got out stuff organised, then we went out for drinks with two of Melissa's mates Hans and Maria. Everyone was pretty knackered so after a kebab on the way home we hit the sack ready for an early morning train to Harderwijk where Melissa's parents have a holiday house.

So regulation we were late to leave and didn't get to Harderwijk till a bit late but we went into town to try the local specialties of smoked eel and raw herring with raw onions. Afterwards we headed back to the camp house for an amazing dinner that Melissa's mum cooked for us. Reece and I ate way too much food but it was definately worth it. The rest of the evening we watched a bit of the tour and went to bed.

Wednesday was the really fun day though, we got up and were off to Wallabi World, now it sounds like a 7yr olds theme park but its old name was Six Flags Holland. It was an awesome roller coaster theme park, we spent the best part of 10 or 11 hours there and by the time we left I had a sore back, Reece's neck was buggered but we couldnt stop grinning. If any one ever goes I recomend getting the front seat on El Condor, it's hands down the most fun ive ever had on a rollercoaster. After we got home we sat and watched the tour highlights on Eurosport and went to sleep.

Thursday was our last day at the camp house so we went and visited Giethoorn a small dutch town where there are no streets, everyone gets around by boat. Now you're all going to think it sounds like Venice, but its so much nicer. The canals are all lined with small dutch houses with thatched roofs and amazing gardens. Unfortunately I lost my lens cap into one of the canals, but this was the only detraction on a great day where we all got really sunburned and had a great time riding around in our 0.7kW electric power boat. On the way back we stopped at a pancake resteraunt for traditional dutch pancakes ( bacon and mushroom pancakes anyone) they turned out to be pretty good and bloody filling. Then it was back to the camp house for a swim and some frisbe before we got on the train back to Nijmegen. On the train, I realised I had left my camera behind and started to stress a little bit, but after milking it for a while Reece finally let me know he had it in his bag, and the two of them had a good laugh at me.

Sadly friday was our last day of the trip and it turned out to be the warmest as well. 27 degree days dont come around so often in holland so we rode the bikes out to "the beach" more of a foreshore really because theres no ocean in Nijmegen. It was good fun though and again we got pretty burnt. After riding back and finishing the packing, we said goodbye to Melissa and we were off to the train station for the last time, although we nearly missed it and had to run the whole way there with all our stuff. by the time we were on the train we were both sweating buckets and I really feel sorry for those people who had to sit next to us on the plane for the next 24 hours.

Well thats it folks, If you managed to get this far im both proud and gratefull. I hope you enjoyed all the photos, bad grammer and worse spelling.
Thanks again and just for the record Reece didn't stick it, although it was a really impressive effort on his 4th day skiing.
See you all next time
Tom


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The SkydiveThe Skydive
The Skydive

Not us but to give you some idea of the ride we did
Lama or Alpacka I never can tell (at roller coaster park)Lama or Alpacka I never can tell (at roller coaster park)
Lama or Alpacka I never can tell (at roller coaster park)

It's true they do spit if you piss them off. I tried


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb