Just a quick note


Advertisement
Macedonia's flag
Europe » Macedonia » Skopje
November 8th 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys - me back.
I had to let Scott send the last one as I was in bed poorly sick (Otherwise know as being pathetic). Not with a hangover but with flu...............not man flu but proper flu. I'm still not great,or anywhere near great but I got some tablets today and feel I am on the mend.

I think what Scott put sums up the last few weeks. He did fail to mention the ice on the inside of the windows (prob where the flu came from!). Galipoli was amazing, interesting and very moving. I did enjoy Turkey but really did feel it was time to move on.

We finally left the posh hotel - even tho our clothes were not quite dry (Where yoou can get roome by the Hr?!?!). We headed out of Sofia and get pulled over by the police. Scott didnt have his lights on (lights on 24hrs a day?!?!). Also the police man pointed out our VERY bald tyre. He tried to fine us 80BL (about £40). We said we only had 40 and asked how we went to the police station to pay (knowing full well he was just after a bribe). After many looks of confusion on our parts (playing the stupid tourist role very well). He decided to give us our paper work back and told us we could give him 40BL or we could just go???? difficult choice. We waved goodbye and headed on our merry way. However we did feel we should get the tyre fixed. We went to one place who pointed out our front shockers, steerling joint and two new tyres were needed. OUCH!. All this came to £400 and took about 3hrs. That was our budget well and truely out of the water!.(Good thing we stocked up on Black Ram first!!(Whiskey 1Ltr for 5euros))

From there we made it to the Macedonian border. We were told by one guy it would cost 50Euros for insurence so Scott took the paper work over and was told 150Euros! Eventually 50Euros was found to be a better price!. We had a night wild camping last night at an old observatory (just a pile of rocks) and today came into the capital. It has a population of 500,000 in the capital but as it is a Sunday it seems like 5,000!. Although it does have a communist concrete feel to some of it there is still an Ottoman/Turkish quater which is different.

Well that is the latest. I have to get back to been ill and pathetic.

Hope you are all well.
xxx

p.s remember in one of the last update we mentioned about the helicopters and the bombs and blown up truck on the bridge??. well our friends in Tblisi that they were filming a hollywood movie there at the time but didnt tell any of the locals and havent paid for all the damage caused!! I can safely say it was very realistic.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb