Waiting in Athens!!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
November 16th 2009
Published: November 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Just a short one before we pick up Vic from the airport and see Greece!! So after Skopje we headed south to Stobi an ancient Roman city which is still being excavated unfortunately all the mosaics where covered with feet of sand to protect them from the winter weather, Caroline waited in the Duk and pissed and moaned about the rain. (Raining for about 4 days now without stopping).

Had to pay extortainate toll road prices of a euro!! As we drove Through the Pelister nature park looking for more churches!! Lake Prespa was fantastic with almost coastal views and the snow capped mountains again showed through the low cloud cover, through the Livada Pass (1568M) a single lane track with no traffic and landslides covering most the road.

Ohrid was a lovely stone cobbled town on lake Ohrid, reconstructed castle on the hill, with the stormy weather was splashing over the lake side spitting more plastic bottles than water. We stuck around for nice pizza and more rubbish beer!!! (Pilsner my backside)

Think we will come back to Macedonia in the summer for walking as there is heaps of marked trails. And that is all we can say about Macedonia as its about the size of Wales and not a great deal there.........

Greece and back to the land of overpriced.........Metero with its Monasteries perched on pinnacles are great to view and the sun made a nice appearance so we had a picnic on the side of the road.Thermopyle was great its own hot spring which smelt like rotten eggs and hundreds of locals turning up naked to bath............EEEEEEEEEEEEWwwwwwwwww not a pretty sight!!
Athens wasjust a stroll about the place to gauge it all up for when Vic gets here and watched the English Rugby dripple over the line against the Pumas with several beers and an eventful bus ride home

Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb