Wet & Wild


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Siauliai
June 29th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

With only two days left at Pamuse we had lots to do today. We also noticed that whenever we preoccupy the kids with activities, they don't act up or fight as often. Luckily, Daina Siliuniene sent tons of toys and goodies for them. The tie-dye packages were the biggest hit! Everyone happily painted pillow cases, while getting squirted by paint. The boys seemed to have even more fun with the plastic gloves and played with them for nearly an hour.

After another very hot day in a house with no air-conditioning, Daiva, Julija and I couldn't stand it any longer. We filled up dozens of water balloons and started a massive water war! Everyone from the smallest toddlers to the oldest teenagers joined in on the fun.

At night Roma came in our room to chat. Within these past two weeks she has told us the most exciting, terrifying and interesting stories that have taken place at Pamuse. The 3 of us are amazed at how well workers at Pamuse handle the situations they are faced with and do their best to prepare these orphans for the real world. They teach the children how to cook, clean and work so that they will someday be able to live on their own. They even break certain policies in Lithuania which prohibit children in orphanages to clean or cook because of sanitation and health concerns. With such restrictions the orphans would not understand how to make a living or raise a family. This is a major problem in other orphanages and Pamuse is willing to fight the authorities to help their childrens' future.

Roma later joked that shes turned into our full-time agent. Apparently, journalists have been calling and emailing her, begging to meet with us. Today we had our third interview of the trip! It seems that the Lietuviai in this area are just as interested in us as we are in them!
~Ziba


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



1st July 2011

thank you so much
Thank you so much for writting so extensively what you are doing in Pamuse. Everyone I have spoken to has truly enjoyed reading all of your journal entries and long to hear more when you get home.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb