Eat, Pray, Love


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Siauliai
June 19th 2011
Published: June 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last night the 3 of us literally laughed ourselves to sleep after exchanging funny moments with the children that day. Once we heard the rooster crowing and saw the sun rising (already at 3 am) we decided it was time to sleep. After a few hours we woke up to chickens clucking - not quite the alarm clock we are used to.

The best part of our day was opening the door and finding a dozen kids sitting on our step, waiting impatiently to give us our morning dose of hugs and kisses. We already feel like a part of their huge family. We played with them and even got the older boys to join us in a basketball game.

Every Sunday the 30 kids eat lunch together, clean up quick and make their way to the church next door. These orphans fill the pews and take up a fourth of this tiny parish! It was beautiful to see how content and well behaved they all were. I felt a wave of sadness, however, when I realized that today is Father's Day and none of these children are fortunate enough to celebrate it. These thoughts were quickly interrupted when the entire congregation was suddenly staring directly at us. The priest made an announcement that 3 young American girls came to Pamuse to volunteer.

For the rest of the day we got to know Roma's friends who showed us how to cook Cepelinai, took us to their beautiful forests preserves and taught us a few things about Lithuanian theology & politics.

~Ziba


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th June 2011

What an interesting Sunday!
Hopefully, as you mentioned what may have been a sad day for these orphans, not having a father with whom to celebrate Father's Day, became a fun day with their new friends from the US! Love reading your blog.
20th June 2011

Keep up the good work!
And keep having fun doing it :)

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb