Italy part of the Spring Tour (Feb. 27- March 10)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
March 16th 2011
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 3 secs
The Italy Half of the Trip:
Day 1- The boat (Feb. 27) and day 2- Pompeii (Feb. 28)
Today we woke up in Olympia, technically still Greece but the day ended in us going to Italy, and to talk about the boat and how we spent our time and have it make sense the earlier events have to be explained, and I might as well just start at the beginning. So we take our tour of Olympia, starting in the Museum. It was pretty cool and we saw the pediments from the temples and so many offering statues which you never really get tired of seeing. We then went Sanctuary. It wasn’t in the best condition but in much better condition than some places we have been, like Delphi. It was interesting to see the division, literally divided by a wall, between the sacred and the not. There was one side were the athletes would learn and exercise and a hotel. The other side was for all the temples. The Zeus temple was in the best condition but we also saw the Hera temple were the torch is lit every single year. We then went through the tunnel were the athletes would run through to the part where the actual games were played. We had a race with some people were the actual athletes ran and learned all about the games, and the practices and the temples and it was very interesting. We then had time to go through on our own and we of course went back and saw all the plaques of the cheaters that everyone would spit on the way into the games. After that we got back on the bus to begin our drive to Italy! At 1230 we started driving arrived at the coast line around 3 pm. When we entered the city we saw some young people and carnival signs and we were so excited, because we had seen no one young! But then we realized that there were a lot of them and they were kinda scrubby looking and they were kind of swarming the bus. When we stopped they started trying to crawl under the bus and open the luggage compartments on the side! Rene had to run inside and get the tickets so Roland got out and was patrolling the bus to keep them off. We started going again and they were everywhere! We got to the gate and they said we all had to go back and walk through the building and show our passports and then have the bus go through that gate without any people. Rene was so mad. They tried to explain that there were men creeping on the bus but the man did not care. So we went back and basically ran off the bus, and when we were getting off, Roland was rolling back and forth to keep them off. He is such a G. The bus came through and met us on the other side and we all grabbed our stuff except Alyssa who had gone to the bathroom with Becca. Then I realized that I had forgotten my ticket and passport on the seat. So we had to walk all the way over and get them out. But Roland had already gone through and folded all our blankets and put our stuffed animals on them already. He spent the whole time from that time until the time the bus was loaded onto the boat patrolling around and chain smoking. So we were getting on the boat and at the top the greeter was sooo cute and I immediately decided that we were going to get married. We settled into our compartment and of course Alan was suuupppper awkward and didn’t leave the whole time. We went exploring and went to the very top to look at the ocean and I spotted a man starfishing the top of a semi. We told the people and we went on a lower deck to go watch them take him off but then we realized that there were many of those crazy men trying to get under the semis waiting to be loaded. It was really fun to watch them find them. Best spectator sport ever. After that we went inside to warm up and have a cappuccino. And then Rene joined us which was really nice. He definitely likes us. I ended up hanging out in the main area trying to creep on the cute boy. And organize my pics. I also ended up talking to a bunch of people in the group and we all talked about how much we hate the center couples. I never really got the nerve to hit on him, and the one time I talked to him I realized that he didn’t actually speak English. But I also stayed up really late talking to Mia which was really great. The next morning as always the boat was running late so I had time to have a nice long breakfast and then bid adieu to my man that I never really spoke to. And just like that we were in Italy. We arrived in Bari, which was just a shitty little city that we drove through until we reached Pompeii around lunchtime. We had some ok pizza and then went to Pompeii. Which was sooooooooo amazing!! It was just huge. Not like the ruins we had been looking at for days but like an entire city it was just huge and the walls were all standing the only thing missing was the roofs. It was all just in amazing condition. After that we got back on the bus, we drove for several hours and stopped at a super tiny gas station that was half café and half grocery. We were supposed to get everything we needed for an entire dinner, which was ridiculous, luckily I was so tired I didn’t even care.

Day 3- Catacombs + Rome (March 1)
This was our first real day in Italy. The breakfast was ok. Not as good at the Amalia but not bad. We got on a different bus with a tour guide and were informed we are going to the catacombs. Which was very exciting of course. When we got there we were handed off to another guide this one was a priest from Australia and he was really great except that Matt kept asking 5 billion retarded questions. But we soon blocked him out and it was sooo great. We went down 9 meters (27 feet) to the first level and we saw where several popes were buried and then where St. Anne was buried. It was so cool to see all the walls covered with frescos and the plaques covering the shelf where they were buried. Then we got back on the bus and had a driving tour through Rome. We went past the Roman forum, and the arena area and past all the walls and the pyramid in the wall, and the Mouth of Truth. We went to lunch at a self service restaurant and then saw this huge basilica where supposedly St Peter was buried. After that we went to the Coliseum. Afterwards we walk by the triumphant arch, and through the original ruins of the palace and then over to the Capitline Hill with the Marcus Aurelius equestrian monument and down to the wedding cake. By then it had started to rain but we had free time to explore so we did. We started of course with Gelato. Then we went to the Il Gesú Church and then we went to Bernini’s 4 River Fountain and the church by Bromate it is in front of. The 4 river fountain was pretty giant, and such a remarkable work. The church was really cool, being made entirely from marble but was not as cool as Il Gesú. Afterwards we went to the Pantheon and to the coffee place Frau Loos told us about. It was soooo good and only 1 Euro for a cappuccino! The pantheon was pretty cool. It was perfectly preserved and there was even still a hole open in the ceiling! Afterwards we began searching for the Trevi Fountain, also known as the world’s most hidden monument. After wandering around in the pouring rain, in the dark, and beginning to get hungry we decided to stop for dinner. We were going to walk down to the main area near the coliseum when we just turned and saw a small place and decided to go there. It was such a good choice, my Tortellini was quite good. The waiter was so fun. And the food was delicious and the house wine was cheap and still the best wine I’ve ever had.And then the waiter came to talk to us because there wasn’t really anyone else in the restaurant because we got there at 645 and we talked to him for a while and he was so much fun. Then an American guy came in and joined our table and he was cool but he probably thought we were the most negative people ever. But then the entertainment arrived! It was a man with a guitar singing and he came up to our table and was singing to us and then went around and once the little waiter came out and grabbed the giant tambourine off the wall and joined him. It was awesome. After 2 hours the restaurant was really full and we had been there forever so we decided to go. Tim (the American) walked to the metro with us. Unfortunately it stopped running by 9 and we missed the last line B one so we had to ride the bus version back and it took 45 mins so it was 11 pm when we finally got to our rooms. And we had been walking around all day we were so incredibly tired. I was asleep within minutes.

Day 4- Vatican + Rome (March 2)
Today we had the Vatican!! It was the coolest place we went hands down. It is only ¾ of a square mile but you would never believe it is that small. We saw every inch available to the public, and were there all morning and until after lunch. The Sistine chapel should be considered a wonder of the world; it lived up and went beyond its reputation. We just spent so long sitting there looking at it. Not that the rest wasn’t really cool, like the map room and the room by Raphael with Philosophy. But nothing compared to that. We then went to the Vaticane Poste and mailed our postcards for super cheap with the most reliable mail system in Europe. We went to lunch before the post, and had Vatican pizza. I was of course obliged to make a holy cow joke because one of my friend’s pizza had beef on it... in the Vatican cafeteria. Afterwards we went to St. Marks. It was huge, and beautiful. The domes were so awesome and the Baldacchino by Bernini fit perfectly. We went to the top of the biggest dome and saw all of Rome. Afterwards we stopped for a cappuccino and a dessert that was not only super delish but really pretty also. We then went to Piazza Barbarini searching for the Trevvi Fountain. We found the Triton Fountain right off the metro. We got lost again and met a Brazilian girl who was also looking and we spoke and Spanish while we walked there. We finally found it and it was just stunning. We flipped coins into the water to guarantee that we would come back. Afterwards we went to the Spanish step. We climbed them and then went back down. We didn’t really figure out what the purpose was but we had heard of them and they were on the tourist map so we figured why not. By then it was quite dark and we were cold and hungry and on a time limit. On the way back to Piazza Barbarini to go to “Pizza Kebab Sushi” we spur of the moment went to a pasta place on the way. I had such delicious Spaghetti Carbonara and some really good white wine. We got back that night around 9 or 930 and I tried to upload pics but I was so tired I fell asleep.

Day 5- free day in Rome (March 3)
This was our free day in Rome. We started out fairly early and went San Pietro in Vincoli also known as St Peter in Chains. This is the church that house the chains that supposedly held St Peter. In it we also saw the huge free standing monument that had Moses by Michelangelo. After that we went to Santa Maria Maggiore, after of course stopping at about 5 shops for water, stamps, cookies, postcards and everything tourist trap. This one is supposed to house the original cradle. Also Bernini’s Tomb. After that we went to lunch the Piazza Republica which was surprisingly bad. Then we went to the wrong church. While walking to the 4 Fountain church we found the right church. It was the Santa Maria della Vitoria which houses the St Teresa in Ecstasy statute by Bernini. After this we stopped for a cappuccino and then walked to the 4 fountain church by Bromante. Which was really cool as were the 4 fountains. We then walked a little too far and found this cool square and took some picture and then walked back to Piazza Barbarini and caught the metro to Piazza Popolo. As we got off the metro it turned sunny and beautiful out. We went down the square and the carnival was happening! We looked around it was so cool and there were people in costumes and a cat on a leash. Then walked through towards the altar of Augustine Peace. But on the way we saw so many great shopping places and I got a great really comfortable fake leather jacket for only 10 Euros. The altar cost too much to see but luckily they put it in a completely glass building so we just took pictures from outside. We then walked along the river and it was so nice out we took so many pictures. Then we reached our bridge- Bridge of the Angels which leads to the Castle of the Angels. Both of which were really cool. So amazing and it’s so old. After that I got my fake Prada bag and some boots that I really wanted both for a really good price. We then went to dinner and I got my Italian Kebab. Which was one of the better kebabs I’ve had. We went back early and I finally caught up on some of pictures. Sadly this was our last day in Rome. I wish I didn’t have to leave so soon.

Day 6- Assissi and Florence (March 4)
Today we departed from Rome and arrived around 11 in Assissi. We climbed up to see Santa Chiara also known as Saint Clare’s. This was the first church we saw, and there we saw her grave and locks of her hair, among other relics. After that we climbed even further to see the church of St Francis of Assissi. This one was pretty awesome and was painted by Giotto. Afterwards Alyssa and I went for lunch which was pretty good and then wine was ok. But then a bunch of other people came in from up and it was upsetting. But the half bottle of wine we each had followed by the gelato made us pretty happy. We were a little buzzed on the bus. The wine was 14% which is strong even for wine. Then finally we arrived in Florence. I fell asleep until dinner. The first course of pasta was quite good. Then the second course was a really weird chicken thing with peas on the side. It was really bad, I ate a lot of peas because no one likes them but me, and I love them. The dessert was ice cream which is always good. That night we decided to go out and got some suggestions to where the locals go. We arrived at 11 and everything was empty. We went to the Red Garter a suggestion that had about 15 people which was the most crowded. In the front was a bar and dance floor and in the back karaoke and tables and more dancing. We sat down and the 4 of us (Katelyn, Christina, Alyssa and I) split a liter of Marguerites and then a liter of Daiquiri. We danced and had so much fun and there were so many cute guys. Then we went out to the dance floor and there were more! I danced with a really cute guy who was obviously gay but a great salsa dancer and he asked for my number and I told him to fb me. It was sad for me. Then he told me he was Mexican and we spoke some Spanish. But it was late so we decided to leave. So we walk outside and we thinking about leaving and then 3 guys started talking to us and we are kind of hanging out and there is one cute guy that is just too cool for school, just correcting their English but not really saying much else. We say we want our free shots from the fish pub and they say they will show us the way. So we walk with them and talk and they are all really fun but then we reach the closed pub around 3 am. We decide to leave and exchange numbers. Christina asks for a pen and paper. For a split second we all thought that was normal. Then we were like oh, yah or his phone. We start walking back and then we stop to check the map and these guys stop to help us. And I said no we have it. But they were like no we will help you! But we don’t speak English. So he spoke bad Spanish and I argued with him that we did not need to go to the Piazza della Independenzia but our hotel. So we finally got back and in bed by 330. Wake up call at 7 am!!!

Day 7 – Florence (March 5)
Today we all walked to the Uffizi gallery. It was so cool. Basically every famous Italian painter ever was here. We knew so many. I had to get another cappuccino and some food though because the breakfast at the hotel was so bad. Our toilet wouldn’t stop flushing and the man at the front desk said oh yah that happens just try to pry it out with your fingers. And then heat never really kicked in for any of the 3rd floor rooms, one of which I was in. So after the Uffizi we went to the Academia where the David by Michelangelo is. After Katelyn, Maria, Jen and I all walked back, stopping to get postcards medicine and McDonalds. I then went back and realized I needed internet. I went to an internet café and had a cappuccino and booked my flights to Dublin and London. I went back and fell asleep and no one woke me up for dinner. So I arrived at dinner about 10 minutes later than everyone else. I was pissed. And only Christina apologized. Although she has some habits are irritating I really don’t mind her much anymore. I kinda like her. Give that Lauren has become Alan, I would probably prefer to hangout with her now. Despite the public singing and lack of table manner and burping I am fine. The crazy has been toned down and I can deal with the politics. Anyway so after dinner we got ready and drank some wine and beer and left to go meet them. We went back to the club for my id and she said she found it but she couldn’t find it right then and they were really busy so I gave her my name and address. Then we met Andrea and Peppe, 2 of the 3 from the night before, and minus Katelyn. They took us to another club and said these are our American friends and my blonde hair got us in. So we got there and went in and they got some seats while we tried to drop off our coats. It was a pretty cool club, we danced and eventually sat and had a really funny conversation and stayed out way to late, we didn’t even get back until 330!

Day 8 Florence (March 6)
Really fun but then we went on a 3 hour walking tour of Florence which was really boring and we had already seen everything. Like the Uffizi and Academia and the Florentine Baptistery. But it was really warm and sunny out. We made the most of it by making fun of Pat for being such a Mega Douche. He had the same jacket as Alyssa and the mega douche glasses. So her and Becca and Jamie O and everyone else in a leather jacket were just mockingly taking pictures behind him, it was sooo fun. We took more pictures of that than buildings. Then we went for a cappuccino and wanted to walk to the other places, but then we stopped at the river and sat on the brick wall in the sun for almost 2 hours. It was beautiful and warm and perfect. And we saw a man go out on a paddle boat into a small tunnel and then come back with a plant. It was so funny. Luckily I got pictures. Afterwards we grabbed lunch from the store on the way back for cheap and then watched Angels and Demons until we all fell asleep. We slept until dinner and then were supposed to meet the guys around 930 so we had time to shower and pack. We met up and hungout for a while. But we needed to get up early so we called it a night around 2. But we had fun.

Day 8- Ravenna and Padoua (March 7)
We left Florence and stop for lunch in Ravenna. We saw the church but we didn’t see Sant’Apollinaire. We did have lunch and went shopping a little. And then we went back to sleep on the bus until we reached Padua. Our hotel was a good 15-20 minute drive from the edge of town. And on a freeway. But its ok because the hotel was awesome and Padua had like nothing. We did nothing the rest of the day so we took advantage of the internets and then had dinner and went to bed super early. He even let us sleep in until 8. This was however the day I discovered my debit card number had been stolen. Very very upsetting. I had to call the bank forever and then my mom who didn’t answer but then I called Anstine who made me feel so much better, it had been so long since we talked and it was great. Then I called my mom again and she still didn’t answer. But I did find out that Jen’s calling card was only 5 Euros for 8 hours so I might get one for school, it would better than the crappy internet.

Day 9 – Padoua (March 8)
Today we went to the Arena chapel, the Giotto masterpiece. They dropped us off on the other side of town and said you have 2 hours to get to the chapel have a map and go. We saw the two churches one of them being the Basilica of Saint Anthony and it had the Gatta Melata in front, the Donatello equestrian statue and the small park with water and statutes. Then we walked to the chapel. Which was cool but then it was about noon and we had already seen everything on the tourist map to see. So we bought our train tickets and got some yummy Falafel. But then we still had a lot of time so we laid in a park with gypsies in grass in the sun. We began to walk back and but then realized we were still too early and sat in the park with the statutes again. We finally got back to the hotel and used the last of our internet and then Alyssa and I went to the sauna for 45 minutes which was fantastic. Afterwards I took a really long and awesome bath. There may have been some splashing involved. Dinner was again quite good except the middle course, as always. The next day was our last day. Also I received an email back from Andrea, it was so sweet. I decided to spend my free weekend next week back in Florence with him.

Day 10- Padoua and Venice (March 9)
This day we departed late, again waking up at 8 am. We were dropped off at the train station and took the train to Venice arriving around noon. We checked into our hotel which was fairly close to the train station. We went into the town and had lunch at a little café where I had a cappuccino and Catalloni with ricotta and spinach. Then we went to Rialto and San Marcos. After wandering around for a while we decided to take a gondola ride. Which was soooo cool. Then we went to dinner which was good but the wine was sour so we sent it back. On the way back, trying to keep our motto of keep it classy alive, we bought the traditional lemon alcohol they drink and some orange soda chaser for a total of 4.17 Euros. We didn’t drink much though because we were tired.

Day 11 – Venice (March 10)
Today was our last day in Italy which was so sad. But at least it is in Venice and we got to sleep in until 10. I love Venice so much I just wish that I had moneys. I borrowed some but out of that I had to buy my ticket back to Salzburg and pay for the room. Nonetheless it was so pretty. The canals are so pretty and the city is just so charming. We had some really good pizza and saw the Santa Maria della Salute and the Bartameleo Collioni statute and got Lauren her gloves. For dinner we had some yummy pasta with wine for 6 Euros. We went back and got our stuff and sat in an internet café in front of the station for an hour. Which was nice because I got to use the internet. More emails . Also the classes are finally posted. About god damn time. I still have to figure out my schedule and feed myself for the weekend. This time was worth it though, we spent so much time looking at the water, sitting in the sun. And we got masks and I got my sweater. And about a million pictures of Canals :p .




Additional photos below
Photos: 175, Displayed: 39


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb