Ciao, Italia!


Advertisement
Europe » Italy
August 16th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

There we stood in the center of a piazza in Florence, locals and tourists streaming around us as we scanned the skyline for the looming shadow of the Duomo we just knew had to be somewhere nearby. Back to back we stood, looking vainly in every direction for the landmark that would lead us back to the hostel. No such luck. Such is the joy of backpacking through Italy, even if you do it with a ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Ancient temple
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Ancient city street
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Victims of the eruption in 79 AD
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Mt. Vesuvius in the background- the volcano that destroyed the city
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Entrance to the home of a wealthy Pompeiian
PompeiiPompeii
Pompeii

Household artifacts excavated from the ruins
RomeRome
Rome

Pyramid- who knew?
RomeRome
Rome

Gothic church
RomeRome
Rome

Trevi Fountain
RomeRome
Rome

American embassy



16th August 2009

The rest of the blog
Merritt, Thank you for that wonderful description in digital and word pictures. If I ever get to Italy, I feel as if I would recognize the people, the places, the streets, from your lively descriptions. I think Reid is a man after my own heart! I traveled through England with Evelyn Lawson and was horrified at the way the people loved and fed and interacted with the pigeons. One of Evelyn's favorite things that she told everyone about the trip was Martha walking through the plazas and muttering through her teeth, "Out of my way! I kick pigeons!" I never did, though. So I really admire Reid for doing it. The only thing better than reading your account of it would have been to see it in person.
19th August 2009

Bravo! your life!
I read your two week Italian odyssey with a great excitement and somewhat jealousy. Your itinerary gave me a bundle of good information about Italy that can be use as teaching materials(your pictures) in social studies or science class. It is very chuckle-some that the scene of the English-Italian conversation between an Italian maitre'd, a fluent English speaker and an American, you, a best Italian speaker. You can speak your language, American English, Chinese and Italian. you are trilingual. You are very great! you recalled your grandma, Ruth in the concert played at an small church. It is sure that your grandma, Ruth is still alive as your guardian angel in your heart. Your open letter to your grandma made me touch. and your conclusion of this itinerary is very meaningful and impressive words. I agree to your opinion. Thank you very much. Your articles in this travel blog world are like the twinkle of stars in the night sky.
20th August 2009

Wow, what a trip! It sounds like you had one heck of a time there; good, bad, and silly. I'd say that's a complete holiday right there! As usual, your writing is wonderfully engaging and your sense of humor def. put a smile on my face with. By the way, props to Reid for kicking the pigeon!!!

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 15; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb