Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
October 30th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yay! Italy!

Ok so this blog may be a little longer because we spent 6 nights travelling through Italia.
Our first quick stop was Pisa where we got to see the Leaning Tower, and then onto Florence. First night out was in a Karaoke bar where they served 3.5L taps of beer and 2.5L jugs of cocktails. Needless to say well all stumbled back to the bus singing and laughing.

The next day we checked out a leather maker before our guided walking tour of Florence. We saw the 200yr old replica of ‘David’ standing in the square and also the building where Michelangelo, Galileo, and Leonardo deVinci all studied and worked. Turns out there is a secret corridor leading from the second floor (from it was a Parliament building) leading 1km through the surrounding buildings and across the Ponte Vecchio (bridge) all the way to the Palace in the outskirts from Medici times, used when the King wanted to get home to his Queen quickly. That particular bridge has had only jewelers on it for 500yrs and Hitler liked it so much that it was the only bridge he spared (Michelangelo’s bridge was not so lucky).That night we had a Tuscan dinner and also went to a Space Disco for some more drinkies.

Our next stop was Rome where we got in early and HUNGOVER! Let me tell you a walking tour is torture when you feel that bad, however we did get to see the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain and the outside of the Colosseum.
The next day we had another walking tour of the Forum (ancient Rome) and saw where Julius Caeser walked, died, and was even cremated. Then we moved inside the Colossium, and then took a Metro ride out to the Vatican City. Here we saw the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St Peters Basilica. The Pope wouldn’t come out and play, and Daily nearly got kicked out for posing next to a painting of Jesus doing the ‘devil horns.’ Nice one!

Onto Venice people, one of my favourite cities of the tour. I must say we probably partied the hardest in Venice, the first night we had ‘Strawpedo’ challenges (skulling a Smirnoff Ice with a straw in the neck to reduce vacuum…science is brilliant isn’t it!), and 1Euro Sambuka shots. Very messy. Luckily I wasn’t too hung-over the next day to enjoy our day in the city. We saw some traditional glass blowing, lace making, and the ‘Bridge of Sighs’ before we headed off for some free time. We spent most the day exploring the maze of streets and alleyways that make up Venice, and in the afternoon had our gondola ride accompanied by more vino. That night was another party, this time it was Masquerade themed. I guess the main event from that particular night would have to be the ‘Backwards 100m Sprint’ between myself and Damo. Damo managed to loose his balance after about 15m, go off course, through a bush, over a fence, and graze his neck and his foot badly. Hahahahahahahahaha….

Oh well, that was pretty much Italy...in a nutshell.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb