Sicily at last


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 24th 2008
Published: April 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

24 April 2008

After 3 weeks travelling the length of the Italian mainland we finally made it to Sicily today.

After a smooth 75k drive with some great views to Villa San Giovanni, amid frenetic activity we caught the ferry for the 20 minute crossing to Messina. The traffic in Messina was manic but we managed to locate the autostrada, had a late lunch on a car park overlooking the Messina straight and drove along the north coast. The road was amazing, nearly all tunnels and viaducts.

We left the Autostrada after 150k and made our way inland to Castelbourno, but other than its mountain position it was nothing special so we returned to the coast.

Our stop was just outside Cefalu a town built below a huge cliff. Getting here was an epic as I misread some no entry signs and we finished up in narrow pedestrianised streets. However the local police and residents were very helpful and after a few backing up manoeuvres we managed to escape without hitting anything.

We intend to circumnavigate Sicily in a counter clockwise way and spend 2-3 weeks here. It will be interesting to see if is what actually happens.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb