Cefalu


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 25th 2008
Published: April 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

25 April 2008 - Italian Liberation Day

For most of the trip the campsites have been quiet and sometimes deserted, but we woke this morning to a crowded and fairly noisy site with the Italians enjoying their public holiday weekend.

There was only a Sunday bus service into Cefalu so we had a pleasant hours walk mainly along the seafront into town. When we arrived there was a lot of activity which reminded us of the surf festival in Newquay. It turned out to be World Vespa Day and there were lots of bikes and stalls selling gear for them.

We strolled through the narrow streets and inspected where we had been with the van the evening before. Then to have a look at the 12th Century cathedral and its impressive mosaics from that period. There was a special mass taking place with many children wearing white or red and white gowns.

A leisurely lunch of the delicious local fish eaten overlooking the med was followed by our walk home. On the way some police outriders came by sounding their sirens and followed by two or three hundred Vespas and we had lots of cheerful waves from the riders or their passengers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb