Along the west coast


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 22nd 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

22 April 2008

The weather had become changeable again, so it was a good time to visit the Paestum Archaeological Museum which contains Greek and Roman finds from the site and around. The highlight for us was the Diver’s Tomb including stunning Greek paintings from between 480 and 470 BC, the best being the diver after which the tomb is named. The paintings are unique and are therefore kept in a roped off and alarmed area. However as the museum was quiet, Wendy persuaded the staff to turn off the alarms and let her examine them at close quarters. A real privilege and an understanding on the museum’s behalf how much it would mean to her.

We left Paestum at about 11 and after a visit to the supermarket made a 320k drive along the SS18 a stunning road which has been driven through the mountains and then along the west coast of the toe of Italy. We stopped for the night at Tropea set on a cliff top on a coastal promontory. The site is right by the beach and we arrived just in time to see the sun disappear beneath the sea. We hope to be lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves tonight.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.408s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb