Paestum


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 21st 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

21 April 2008

We had intended to catch the bus to Amalfi and from there to Bomerano in order to walk through the hills to Positano. But we woke to low mist, drizzle and a strong breeze and decided to move on.

Our goal was Paestum but as campervans are not allowed on the Amalfi coast road we first had to retrace ore steps to Pompeii.

We stopped at a local wayside fruit and veg stall and had an interesting 5 minutes trying to work out how to cook globe artichokes. With sign language and dictionary we gathered that the local recipe involved olive oil, parsley, cheese and water. However the minimum quantity sold was 20 for €5. So we decided not to experiment.

As we arrived at Paestum the skies cleared and the sun came out. We found we could stay overnight on the nearest carpark to the entrance and have a view out of our front window of the Temple of Athena.

What a magical place this is - an early Greek town which has the oldest building in Italy and was further developed and altered by the Romans. The site covers a huge area, much of which is unexcavated. A €2.8m restoration project is underway and we saw archaeologists at work. It is easy to see how nature can quickly hide the foundations as in many areas the grass and spring flowers were unmown. The three Greek Temples are from different periods and so show the development in technique and style. Staying so close we also had the privilege of seeing them in daylight, at sunset and floodlit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb