Venice. The city with a hundred dead ends.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 8th 2019
Published: July 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

First I need to say that I'm way behind on blogs so have a lot of catching up to do. Tomorrow we are back on the road so this will be my last for a while.

We were so close to Venice that we felt compelled to visit whilst in this part of the world.
The journey was fraught with difficulties but eventually we found the place to park near the railway station closest to Venice. Driving right into it was out of the question.
We parked up and joined the queue to buy a rail ticket.a crazy system.

Once on the train we were in Venice in ten minutes then the fun began. We followed signs for St Marcos square but there were so many twists and turns and so many people that we frequently got lost.
Stan had to idea to use the sun to help us walk in the correct direction. Good idea! Not!
Every time we turned a corner we were confronted with a canal and a dead end.
After two hours of going in circles we found ourselves back at St Marco's square. A helpful policeman pointed out the signs in Italian for ' railway station' Success! With two very sore feet we made our way back to the train.

Next day we visited the local walled town, Marostica and climbed up to the castle for views of the local countryside.
Next day.... The Dolomites!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



15th July 2019

The best part of Venice...
is the back alleys! Fewer tourists.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb