i ate too much pasta, i think i may sink venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
November 17th 2008
Published: November 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

bonjourno, bonjourno!!
so today we are temporary citizens of Venezia. It is 5:30pm here, chris is sleeping off his cold, our room does not have the tv we became accustomed to, so i am out here writing you. the hostel we are staying at the next 3 nights is "a venice museum", weird name right? well when you step in here man oh man do you get why it's called a museum! we are sleeping in a building that you pay 8 euro for a museum tour! it is not the modern room we had last time, but let me tell you it is definately italian! our room has one double bed and a chair, that is it. BUT the whole room- walls and ceiling are sculptures of angels and things coming off the walls. there are 2 humungo paintings that are framed and painted into the actual walls. ! the hostel is also right on one of the canals! it is so surreal. i'm waiting for the ride to end and be told that disney world worked very hard at re-creating venice. i mean come on, venice? how am i in venice? this is where james bond and tom cruise hang out when filming their movies. this is not where meg and chris arrive unshowered and stinky from our hot train ride from florence!
we have yet to really explore venice. though our trek to the hostel was challenging, windy and picturesque. the romantic boat tour men in their white and black striped shirts are singing on the water's edge hustling you into a ride, which by the way i am soo insisting upon. but i am going to search long and far for my italiano river boat man that is going to sing sing sing in italian italian italian! for this is my dream! oh how my heart flutters imagining the singing that will happen, and oh how embarassed chris will be when i attempt to sing along!
when we arrived at our museum hostel our room was not yet ready, so i asked italiano hostel man to reccommend a local delicioso place. so off to "La Pantina" we were. it apparently means "little potato" in italiano. so we winded and essed throughout the crazy streets here and eventually found our eatery at the bottom of a little bridge that had a closet sized door. we walk in and it is just busting with local italianos! i knew we were in for some beautiful eats. the guy i'm guessing owned the place was walking and spinning around singing italiano, oh what a dream! i got an amazing pasta, chris had his first meat spaghetti. we were very excited that we had found this little treasure! and when we were done i asked for the cheque in italiano, and the waiter and italian men next to us had a little giggle because i was oh-so enthused to be speaking in venitian tongue! i shall miss speaking italian, i feel it is the words of my heart.
so we head back here, and chris and i lay down for a nap. i was very excited when we first arrived about the angel and children sculptures on the walls and ceiling, however with the light a little dimmer i was beginning to fear these sculptures may come alive at night. silly it sounds, but i feel it is a very realistic fear. if anytime a ghost were to visit me in italy, this is the place. and it is extra scary because i know chris is probably even more skittish about ghost encounters (for those of you that don't know, i have had many ghost experiences...i happen to be one of those weirdo ghost people). i will keep you updated on the paranormal sightings. i wonder if they'll only speak italian? i better brush up on helping ghosts cross over italiano style!
so here i am now, on the hostel laptop free for us to use. we have dinner cooked for us every night! there is a big table for us to all sit at, i am uber excited to have an italian hostel family dinner, oh the italian i may be able to speak! they also cook us breakfast, i am really hoping for lots of pastries that i am now addicted to.
only moments ago there was an alarm going off, and i asked one of the guys here what it was from. he listened for a moment, and then i said "could it be a car alarm?", he laughed, put his hand on my shoulder in a "there there silly tourist" way, and responded "there are no cars, only boats. we are in venice". tear for me. no cars will take time to get used to, but oh what freedom to be away from cars and vespas coming at you all the time. chris got his wish, the street is closed!

we will try to get some more pictures up. you will not beleive your canadians eyes when you see our room! i hope all is well and snowy at home, i can't wait for snow at home!

ciao!
love love love
chris and meg

Advertisement



18th November 2008

wow sounds great, when i was in venice we stayed ina campground across the water from venice and took a boat across every morning. cant wait to see pictures, meg are you getting enough protein? hope to talk to you soon. love mom and company, moonie says hi and arf arf, we were at your apt today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lovely
18th November 2008

good to hear from you
Your words send shivers up my spine...Venice is coming to life. I do anxiously await the pictures.
20th November 2008

Hello from Winterpeg
Hi Meg and Chris.Sounds like you're both having a blast. Meg your an amazing storyteller and I'm throughly enjoying your European adventure through your eyes.I'm having flashbacks from my trip way back in 1982.Greetings Chris, I'm Meg's other beautiful Aunt from Winnipeg. Look forward to meeting you some day.Have a good sleep as Germany awaits. Enjoy tomorrow. Uncle Ralph, Neil and Drew say Chow

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb