Other Random Perugia Events


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wish Bones!Wish Bones!Wish Bones!

we had two little chickens so we all got to pull on wishbones
Thanksgiving was a pretty big deal to most of the American students that were spending the holiday in Perugia. We all tried to make the most of it by cooking a large dinner. For many of us this was our first big holiday away from our families so everyone called home and tried to track down their favorite recipes to make the holiday special. Finding the recipes was not the problem, but finding the ingredients for the food was a big problem! Many Italian dishes do not use the same spices as American dishes and trying to explain stuffing and pumpkin pie to the Italians is like pulling teeth! There was one restaurant in town that has kind of created a Thanksgiving menu for the American students over the last couple of years, but many of us decided to cook our own. I spent the holiday with girls from a different apartment and each of us contributed by making something that was important to us. I contributed spiced baked apples...it was actuallly the first time I had made them, but they turned out pretty good. We ended up having a pretty nice spread that included chickens--yes chicken, not turkey--green beans, glazed carrots, baked apples, rolls, mashed potatoes, and a lemon and a baci cake. It was too difficult to get a turkey and we figured it would be to difficult to cook. To get a turkey you have to order it from the butcher a few days in advance and then they butcher it, but not all the feathers are out or anything...so it is much more difficult than American frozen turkey. We all had a pretty good time cooking together then eating all the food we made.

Around the beginning of December the underground fortress was transformed into a giant Christmas Festival. There were vendors from all over selling different things like food, jewelry and leather goods. Lacey, Jackie and I went one evening and walked around buying authentic Italian food, last minute gifts, and enjoying our last week in Perugia. We also decided to ride the Ferris Wheel that had been sitting in the piazza for about a month. We were the only ones riding it and the guy let us go around until more people showed up.

Even though I had already been to La Perugina, the chocolate factory, we went for our Italian class the week after our presentations were done. We were given a tour by the workers and I was once again able to see how the candies were made. For class that week we gave presentations in Italian and they had to be 15 minutes long! I did mine on Chocolate and was able to bring in samples. The speeches were supposed to be entertaining and just a fun last project, but they did take a lot of work. Some other examples of topics were wine, jazz music, the Pope, and Italian Renaissance art. We only had 5 people in our class so it only took 3 days to give the speeches.

The last week in Perugia wasn’t too exciting. I mostly took my finals and packed my suitcases. That was a difficult task! I had no idea if it would all fit! All of my roommates and I kind of had a quiet week since we still had tests, but we did go to Il Birraio to the Good-Bye aperitivo(snack food and drinks). Il Birraio is one of my favorite places in Perugia and we went to say our good-byes to the rest of our friends from school. Some of
Cooking!Cooking!Cooking!

here are some dinner preparation pictures
the places in town also had good-bye parties for all of us; one of the places was Rock Castle, where they have karaoke on Monday nights, so my roommates and I all went out and sang karaoke. I left town on Wednesday morning by bus and arrived at the airport by early afternoon catch my evening flight to London.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Mashed Potatoes!!Mashed Potatoes!!
Mashed Potatoes!!

Sam made awesome mashed potatoes!
"Carving" the Chickens"Carving" the Chickens
"Carving" the Chickens

by carving i mean picking the meat off with our fingers...
Our dinner!Our dinner!
Our dinner!

Lindsay looks ready to eat! i made the apples that are on the end of the table on the right side of the photo!
Trolls Trolls
Trolls

a stand at the Christmas fair...
Natale!!Natale!!
Natale!!

= christmas in Italian. these were signs for the christmas fair
Fortress TransformedFortress Transformed
Fortress Transformed

the underground fortress was transformed into a giant Christmas fair
Shall we Ride?Shall we Ride?
Shall we Ride?

answer--> definately!
Me on Ferris Wheel!Me on Ferris Wheel!
Me on Ferris Wheel!

we were the only ones on the Ferris Wheel and they were playing Bon Jovi Music, haha


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb