Everything Made of Chocolate?... Sure Why Not?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
November 9th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Saturday after returning from Fall break I participated in the largest chocolate festival I have ever seen! Eurochocolate takes place in Perugia every year and for about a week the streets of the city center are filled with venders selling every form of chocolate ever imaginged. My roommate Jackie and I braved the crowds to go experience the amazingness that can only be created by mass amounts of chocolate. First we geared up by going to Cafe Morlacchi and ate some croissants and I drank a hot chocolate, because what else do you drink during the Eurochocolate?

We entered Piazza IV Novembre ready to eat our fill of chocolate and ready to spend all the money we had on gifts for the family and friends...both of which we did very well! The first thing we saw was the giant chess board with the chocolate game pieces. Everyone better get into their heads that everything was made out of chocolate at this festival! So yes, the giant chess pieces were made of milk and white chocolate. Also in the main Piazza there was a giant key made of chocolate. Our best guess was it was a promotional icon...people were lined up to try keys in a chest, so we think there was a prize inside the chest. Jackie and I started our perusal of chocolate booths on the street below Corso Vanuci. We were surprised to see there was a carousel set up for the occassion! In these booths we saw the largest Nutella jars we had ever seen, chocolate mice, chocolate spoon, and chocolate in just about every other form you might be able to immagine and then some you can't. 😊 Down by the minimetro station Milka, a chocolate brand, set up a giant inflatable cow, which Jackie and I insisted on taking pictures with. Next we went to the booths along Piazza Italia. The booths here had the most interesting things. We tried our first chocolate liquors, ate some chocolate shot glasses, saw cards and batteries made out of chocolate and saw chocolate made by the car company FIAT. The weirdest thing we saw was chocolate pasta...we thought maybe it was chocolate in the form of pasta, no. It was wheat pasta with chocolate flavoring, ew. We decided to pass on that and headed straight for the chocolate bunnies instead.

Over all it was a great afternoon of chocolate! We both decided though that one day maybe two max would be enough! There were so many people in the street! It was really crowded! It isn't that bad when all you want to do is walk around and look at the chocolate festival, but if you actually have somewhere you need to be, it is a nightmare.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hand Painted ChocolatesHand Painted Chocolates
Hand Painted Chocolates

the colorful decortations are painted
Jackie and her SpoonJackie and her Spoon
Jackie and her Spoon

Jackie tried to savor her chocolate spoon, but it just melted in her hand!
MMMM!MMMM!
MMMM!

chocolate slabs with random things in them..candy, fruit, nuts, etc.
Milka Cow!Milka Cow!
Milka Cow!

one of the chocolate companies set up this blow up cow by the MINImetro station!
Absinthe and Chocolate?Absinthe and Chocolate?
Absinthe and Chocolate?

I don't think so...
Fiat ChocolateFiat Chocolate
Fiat Chocolate

Fiat is a car company...apparently they make chocolate too.
Strawberry LiquorStrawberry Liquor
Strawberry Liquor

This guy was selling liquor that had little strawberries in it, he was pretty excited about his job.
We Like Free SamplesWe Like Free Samples
We Like Free Samples

don't let our happy faces distract you...this stuff was awful! we tried one sip and then threw it out.
Choco POWER!Choco POWER!
Choco POWER!

I wish I ran on this stuff!
Chocolate Shot Glasses!Chocolate Shot Glasses!
Chocolate Shot Glasses!

Jackie and I saw these and decided it was necessary to try them....so worth it! when will I ever be able to eat my shot glass again after drinking it?


Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb