Lucca, Levorno and Pisa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
October 4th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thursday mom and I spent on the road (leaving around 8 am and returning about 7:30 pm) visiting Lucca, Livorno and Pisa. As with every adventure so far, when we get off the track we always find something interesting. Today drove to Lucca, parked just outside the city and walked on the fortress walls, into the city and through the Duomo. It was a nice stop, but hardly impressive after Siena’s beauty and liveliness. Then we got back on the highway towards Pisa with plans to stop there before heading to Livorno (English = Leghorn). Unfortunately we missed the turn marked for Pisa Centrale so we ended up in Livorno first! It is a big harbor town with multiple cruise ships, yachts and boats as well as an active shipping harbor. We parked near the shore and walked to view the Mediterranean Sea. What had started out as a drizzly day up in Rufina, ended with beautiful sunshine in Livorno. We took pictures of our dream yachts. Then when we were ready to head back towards the car I noticed two men under the walkway down by the boats. It took me a few moments to realize they were doing drugs (something with a needle). I guess if I had to see that in my lifetime (a first for me) it’s best to see it in a foreign place where you can mark it down as something completely removed from your own life.

Mom and I found a nice “American Bar” to have a sandwich and water for lunch, then headed back towards Pisa. We were determined to find the correct exit and not miss the leaning tower after getting so close on the first try! Livorno was the first town where I felt overwhelmed by the velo and motorcyclists. They come up on you so quickly and pass both on the left and right! We were glad to make it out of the town and find the road back towards Pisa. This route was a bit different so we were hopeful we would find Pisa Central this time. On our way we passed Camp Darby which from the name sounds like an American Army Base. I said to mom, I think I just saw my first prostitute in Italy! Along the road across from the base I saw a long legged lady with short shorts, a tiny top and very high heels. She was standing in the classic come-on pose with her had on her hip and the hip stuck out to one side. She was standing under some trees, next to a small motor home. The only reason I noticed her was the motorcyclist in front of me slammed on his brakes and turned into the spot where she was standing so quickly that I had to hit my brakes in order to miss him. By the time I finished the description of what I saw, there was another lady sitting in a chair on the other side of the road. Also scantily clad, she had heavy makeup on her face. We saw four or five more ladies of the night (although it was just around 1:30 in the afternoon) on our way past the base. Then a few more across from an airbase. One of the last women we saw, touting her wares was flashing her bottom to a train full of people that was traveling past her. What a strange sight.

It wasn’t too far from the bases where we found the turn toward Pisa and eventually we found the city center (centrale) signs. We followed signs towards the Duomo and Torre, but even after two attempts to find the actual square, we decided to park at the train station where I remembered reading it was a close walk or bus ride to the sights. We paid for an hour parking, entered the train station looking for information and a toilet. We found the toilet first, thank goodness for MacDonalds and their clean bathrooms! Then we spotted a printed sign with information on which bus to take for the Leaning Tower and the Duomo. We found the square and a nice Italian gent showed us which stop to stand at (we were at the end of the line, not the beginning). Finally the bus arrived and we had a quick 10 minute trip to the piazza. The first sight of the Duomo and Tower were impressive and we quickly snapped some photos. Then as we entered the walled piazza I noticed I had received a few email. One from Penny was scary. Dad had fallen and dislocated his hip while he was alone at the Lake Place. Apparently during the night he got up and went downstairs to go to the toilet. Then his foot slipped out from under him (wet floor we think) and he landed on his right side with his leg at an odd angle which popped his artificial hip out of the socket. I don’t know how he managed to do it, but over the next three hours he crawled to the door, propped himself on a chair and walking stick and hobbled to the Suburban. He got in the passenger side and used the stick to press the pedal while he drove to Happy’s Inn just a few miles down the road from the house. He honked the horn, yelled and tried to wake someone up, but at 3:30 am no one was roused. So he got in the other side of the truck and pulling the trailer, driving with his blinkers on and going slowly, gritting his teeth against the pain, he drove himself to Kalispell. When he was close enough to get cell service, he called 911 and told them to expect him at the hospital and that he would need help getting out of the Suburban. Then he called Penny so she could meet him there.

By the time we got the message the doctors had been able to reset the hip in the socket. It took three tries and at least two doses of drugs to keep him under while they did it. He is in a brace for at least two weeks to keep the leg straight so the hip will stay in its socket. Then he’ll have a follow up with his specialist, Dr. Larry Iwerson. We’re hoping he’ll still be able to go on the hunting trip this year, especially if he uses the quads to get around. But it’s certainly too early to know yet. We’re just thankful he wasn’t hurt worse and didn’t break anything and that the hip joint and socket weren’t damaged in the fall. After that scare it was hard to concentrate on much, but we were able to call Penny and talk to both her and Dad to make sure he was okay. I have to say that no one else that I know has as strong a will to be able to drag himself through the house and then drive himself to the hospital with a dislocated hip!

We have definitely decided it is time to install a phone at the Lake Place. There is no cell coverage and the nearest phone is at Happy’s Inn. So accidents like this one could leave you stranded!
Mom and I enjoyed a lovely meal of leftovers when we returned to the villa. We were the first to leave the villa and the first to return from our day trip. We enjoyed the peace and quiet of having the villa to ourselves for two or three hours before the other guests returned. We ended the evening with another call to Dad and Penny, an email or two to Tom and a few chapters read in our books.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb