First Taste of Firenze


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 12th 2011
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Germany to Florence



The flight from Germany to Florence was short and sweet. Only about 50 minutes in the air. The skies were really clear so we could actually see the Alps out the window as we flew over! And I was lucky enough to have a window seat so I got some really great photos! It amazes me that people live here and see the Alps everyday, and it is as normal to them as Old Saybrook is to me! It's out of this world!

Luggage claim was quite an event! They had hundreds of people's luggage from multiple flights all on one belt that's about half the size of the ones in US airports. Thank God I put that rediculous green ribbon on my suitcases so I could find them quickly. And they didnt lose my luggage! So far so good!

Kevin met us just outside of baggage claim. He is the head of the RWU Study Abroad Programs and he has been so wonderful to us! The students from UPENN looked so lost, and we knew exactly where to go and what to do thanks to Kevin! I can't thank him enough! He brought us outside where we met Serena from the Institute at Palazzo Ruccelai where we will be studying. She is a delightfully crazy Italian woman who seems to be a jack-of-all-trades in terms of her role at the institute.

Serena and Kevin went through the attendence and then broke us into groups based on our roommates and what buildings we live in. It was a tedious process and I was one of the last people to be loaded into a cab.I was told I'd be living with Jessica and then another student from a different school. Jess goes to Roger Williams with me, and I know her pretty well. We shared a cubicle in Studio last semester so I know we'll be fine living together. We've already learned how to share space, only now its bigger! The driver had to work some serious magic to get our luggage in the cab. Cars are so small here! They're like clown cars, hehee. The driver was wonderful though! He took us on a scenic view of Florence rather than just taking the most direct route the apartment, and the meter was not running! He chattered away pointing out all of the sites and telling us where to go. He was so kind.

Florence



He dropped us off at our apartment where we were supposed to meet Alessandro who works for the Institute at Palazzo Rucellai. Serena had told us we might have to wait a few minutes because he was also checking in students on the next block. So when he wasn't there, we weren't concerned. Half an hour later Alessandro still was not there. I wasn't all that concerned, but Jess was really starting to freak out. All the people in the neighborhood were spying on us, and she was totally convinced the Italian men were going to start bothering us. I told her she was being paranoid, but then 2 minutes later one of the guys made a phone call, and 2 minutes after that 6 more Italian turn down the street. They didnt bother us, they didnt even say ciao. They just spied on us from afar. I thought it was amusing; I think the guys were just enthralled with Jess's naturally blonde hair. Its rare here, even though we are in northern Italy. I just chuckled while Jess fussed and worried about them. She totally
Via Delle ConceVia Delle ConceVia Delle Conce

This is our street sign. All of the street signs are posted on the building at the street corner. Much classier than the stupid green signs we have in the states!
cracks me up!

A couple of little old Italian women tried to befriend us. Unfortunately they didn't speak English, so we'll have to go find them once we learn a few phrases. The entire street spied on us while we moved in; we are apparently the greatest gossip source this neighborhood has had in a while. Its located right at the edge of the city center so we can walk everywhere and our classes should only be 10 to 15 minutes away on foot.

I have a single, and Jessica shares a room with Kayla. We are all architecture students and we get along great. Kayla is from the University of Hartford and she's the only student from Hartford in the Program so shes living with us. She's very friendly and I think the three of us are going to be good friends.

Our Apartment is HUGE for just the three of us! It is so spacious for European standards and its so beautiful. Apparently a lawyer lived here and when he moved, the Institute scooped up the lease. We are the first Institute students in this apartment, which makes it extra awesome with lots of new stuff and whatnot. We get 1 and 1/2 baths for just us three! We are so spoiled! Some apartments have 5 or 6 girls in one bathroom! It's just lovely. It is apparently one of the nicest apartments the Institute has and its in this quintisential little European neighborhood!
For dinner we went to a little tiny wine bar the locals frequent. I had the most delicious tuscan soup and the three of us shared a liter of the house wine. It was a very light bodied white wine; not too sweet and not too dry and it had a wonderful bold aftertaste.

Afterward we all came back to unpack and shower and get to bed. We are all exhausted and we have to be up and coherant for orientation at 9:30am. buona notte!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

WaitingWaiting
Waiting

See how thrilled Jessica is about waiting for Alessandra!?! And we had way too much luggage, lol!


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb